Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not new to the classics just been away for over 20 years. I am picking up my car next week and is almost stock other than front disc brakes. What are the mods I should focus on with a limited starting budget.

1. A/C - a must in Florida
2. EFI?
3. OD?
4. or other items I should look at?

i am going to daily drive this 3-4 times a week and the car is in very good shape.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Welcome to the VMF. AC you can look into Vintage Air. EFI would be up to you but Holley Sniper would be one to look at hard.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
I'd add the A/C and drive the car. There's nothing wrong with a carburetor and if you're not driving on the highway a lot there's nothing wrong with a non-OD transmission.

·
Registered
705 Posts
What transmission does it have now?
I wouldn’t bother with any automatic with OD. If it currently has a C4 automatic keep it, enjoy it, and give it a shift kit.
If you really want OD convert to a T5 manual transmission.

And keep the carb.
Spend the money on suspension upgrades.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Ok I’m curious , I don’t know much about carbs. Why is it not so good for high way driving? Fuel efficiency?
A carb is fine for highway driving. I said that if you don't do a lot of highway driving a non-OD transmission is just fine also. If you do a lot of highway driving an OD transmission becomes beneficial.

·
Registered
237 Posts
A carb is fine for highway driving. I said that if you don't do a lot of highway driving a non-OD transmission is just fine also. If you do a lot of highway driving an OD transmission becomes beneficial.
Ah I see I mixed up your wording.

It makes complete sense that overdrive would help on a highway. How bad do you think it’ll be for me with a C4? I live on a highway. Right when I leave my house it’s basically 65-70 all the way to my destinations.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Ah I see I mixed up your wording.

It makes complete sense that overdrive would help on a highway. How bad do you think it’ll be for me with a C4? I live on a highway. Right when I leave my house it’s basically 65-70 all the way to my destinations.
Depends on your rear gear ratio. If yours is still a factory rear axle it’s probably about 3:1.
Which really isn’t bad for 70 mph.
I had a 3.7:1 ratio in mine. 75mph was 3700 rpm. I didn’t mind it one bit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts