Vintage Mustang Forums banner

newbie again

441 Views 7 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Doodles66
I'm getting back into vintage mustangs after a 10 year absence. Thinking about buying a 66 coupe that needs some cosmetic repairs. This car does not have a door vin tag but has the fender stamps showing a C code 289 and vin. This car has a 3 speed tranny. I didn't remember if that was available in 66. I thought it was all auto or 4 speeds. Second, how difficult is it to determine codes for a replacement door vin tag. thanks
Reactions: SemperFi75
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
I'm getting back into vintage mustangs after a 10 year absence. Thinking about buying a 66 coupe that needs some cosmetic repairs. This car does not have a door vin tag but has the fender stamps showing a C code 289 and vin. This car has a 3 speed tranny. I didn't remember if that was available in 66. I thought it was all auto or 4 speeds. Second, how difficult is it to determine codes for a replacement door vin tag. thanks
Welcome back from a fellow Noobie again (40 years for me.馃槅).
You came to the right place. Someone here will have the info.馃憤
Good luck.

Registered
Welcome. The three speed was the standard transmission. Auto & four speeds were optional.

As far as recreating the door tag, what are you looking to show? The original configuration? The current configuration? How sure are you that the current state of the car is original?

Here is a link to the codes used on the door tag. Good luck.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for all the welcomes. Not sure at all what was the original specs. Don't know if I will be able to find that out. Maybe after lots of research I guess. I like to keep things stock. I was not sure about the 3 speed in 66. so thanks for that info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts