Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new here after purchasing a 66 289 mustang a few weeks ago. looking for recommendations on what oil is best please? Been looking at Joe Gibbs racing HR1 oil. Thank you.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Good lookin' car! Congrats and have fun.

People have their favorites when it comes to oil. I tend to look at the API donut for CJ-4 and go with that. I'm avoiding the CJ-4/SN.

You will get lots of opinions. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
9,157 Posts
What type of valve train does it have, OEM flat tappet, roller? If it’s a flat tappet cam, it needs a zinc rich oil such as synthetic Mobil 1 15W/50 or regular oil with a added Zinc supplement. Lucas makes a good thinner oil with everything it needs. I think it’s called Hot Rod oil or something like that. Most if not all “racing” oils are advertised as that so they can include all the additives needed for OEM flat tappet cams.

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
Mercedes and Porsche are the only two manufacturers who have specifications out there to cover their old "flat tappet engines". It so happens those specifications are a perfect match for old flat tappet Fords too. Also ACEA approvals A3/B4 and A3/B4 are relevant. There are a number of regular motor oils that will work fine without meeting those specs, but if you want "best" then I'm guessing synthetic is what you are after.
Mobil has a nice application chart-https://mobiloil.com/~/media/amer/us/pvl/files/pdfs/mobil-1-oil-product-specs-guide.pdf
You can see there that their FS-X2 5W-50 is perfect match. Over here it happens that the 15W-50 tends to be very widely on sale for much less and so we buy that. Castrol makes oils that match Mobil 1's spec too, should you want a different brand. I don't have the details of the Castrol at hand but I happily use either. I've been told you guys have some "motorcycle" oils available to you over there that work great and meets specs that aren't sold over here.

·
Hi, how ya doin?
1,973 Posts
Welcome to VMF. Nice looking 66 Coupe. I use Motorcraft synthetic bled oil in all our vehicles.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the replies. Tricky because unfortunately I don’t know if it has flat tappet cams or not.
Anyway I’ve ordered this now.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use the same Lucas Hot Rod oil in my '67 with a flat tappet cam. Works well for me.

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
I've never quite quite known what to make of that oil. I don't see how they can sell it with absolutely NO approval ratings at all. Not even the API rating like every other non-racing oil out there has. There must be some kind of loophole they're exploiting. Oh well, if they can do it...

Hey guys, I think there's a market for completely unapproved oils to people who know nothing about motor oil and don't want to learn. We'll just market it to old car owners and put a picture of a sharp looking classic car on the front. We don't even have to put any legitimate product information on the label because no one reads labels anyway, right? We can put about anything we want in the bottle and It'll sell as long as the bottle looks pretty, I swear!

·
Registered
5,451 Posts
I've never quite quite known what to make of that oil. I don't see how they can sell it with absolutely NO approval ratings at all. Not even the API rating like every other non-racing oil out there has. There must be some kind of loophole they're exploiting. Oh well, if they can do it...

Hey guys, I think there's a market for completely unapproved oils to people who know nothing about motor oil and don't want to learn. We'll just market it to old car owners and put a picture of a sharp looking classic car on the front. We don't even have to put any legitimate product information on the label because no one reads labels anyway, right? We can put about anything we want in the bottle and It'll sell as long as the bottle looks pretty, I swear!
Wow! Why don't you just call them stupid instead of mincing your words?

I swear!

Allen

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
Call who stupid? I'm just saying this product is highly suspicious when one bothers to look AND if one knows what to look for. Not everyone does, asking on an internet forum is not bad way to gather information on a specific subject. I do have to say that completely ignoring that information and doing some opposite thing...doesn't sound like the best choice.

A quote from Consumer Reports years ago stuck in my head. After ranking a fair selection of motor oils from best to worst, they allowed as how even the worst motor oil was OK as long as you changed it frequently enough. So probably no oil sold at retail is actually "bad".

·
Registered
5,451 Posts

Call who stupid? I'm just saying this product is highly suspicious when one bothers to look AND if one knows what to look for. Not everyone does, asking on an internet forum is not bad way to gather information on a specific subject. I do have to say that completely ignoring that information and doing some opposite thing...doesn't sound like the best choice.

A quote from Consumer Reports years ago stuck in my head. After ranking a fair selection of motor oils from best to worst, they allowed as how even the worst motor oil was OK as long as you changed it frequently enough. So probably no oil sold at retail is actually "bad".
You don't see the contradiction in your two post? One is talking about an oil that you obviously think is simply a marketing scheme to get people that don't want to learn about oil to buy it even though it's "unapproved". You furthermore state that the reason they are buying it is because the "bottle looks pretty".

Now you're saying that according to Consumer Reports no oil sold is actually "bad".

I think the OP is trying to learn about oil. He bought what he/she thinks is good oil and then actually got someone to confirm they use it with no problems.

Lucas is a highly recommended oil. I used their break in oil on my latest build and everything went fine. I didn't check to see if there was any approvals on the oil.

I'm guessing the Op won't have any issues either.

I will add that as you quoted Consumer Reports, the frequency of oil changes probably has more to do with an engine (or is that a motor) lasting than the oil itself.

Allen

·
Administrator
19,994 Posts
Well I wasn't trying to put anyone down actually. If it is taken that way then I do apologize. OP asked which oil is "best".
If no one is interested in actual ACEA or other specifications, just unqualified opinion then I shall step out. When people believe hard enough in something throwing facts at them is fairly pointless.

The quote from Consumer Reports is to show that the Lucas stuff probably isn't actually bad for our cars. It is NOT implying that some oils aren't better than others. Oil changes certainly make a difference but they and the actual quality of the oil used are still two completely different things. If you are discussing increasing the longevity of your engine then they are two major factors among many others.

FWIW, Lucas is a highly advertised oil. I personally would not use it not recommend it.

Quote: "Hey guys, I think there's a market for completely unapproved oils to people who know nothing about motor oil and don't want to learn. We'll just market it to old car owners and put a picture of a sharp looking classic car on the front. We don't even have to put any legitimate product information on the label because no one reads labels anyway, right? We can put about anything we want in the bottle and It'll sell as long as the bottle looks pretty, I swear!"
This is simply a stab at humor. Facetious humor but still. We discuss oil a LOT on this forum. Same old came old gets boring. Is it particularly amusing? At least one person finds it not to be.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts