Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is my first mustang but my families third. It is a 67 coupe with a 289. Now for the problem. I have always noticed a slight gas smell out of the trunk, but when i went outside yesterday I could smell gas from my front door. I went out to the car and foung gas pouring out of the filler neck and all over the rear valance. The gas bubbled up the paint below the gas cap and behind the license plate. The paint job was really bad anyway so i peeled off the bad paint and primed and painted the bare areas. Has this happened to anyone and how do i fix it? It was a pretty hot day and the tank was full. Could the heat have expanded the gas and caused the gas to come out?

Thanks- Zach

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking the same thing, after the paint had bubbled it peeled off real easy, I didnt have to use a scraper or anything, I dont know if pouring gas all over the car is a really safe thing though ::

·
Registered
7 Posts
This happened to my '65 coupe a couple years ago. I'd gotten the car after it had been painted (badly) and the previous owner had not had the "sealer" applied to the new paint. I figured the gas took the paint off because the paint job was even worse than I'd thought it was... I am just guessing, but I can't imagine why gasoline would remove the paint like that if it was a good paint job.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The paint job on my car was also really bad. It was probably a maaco respray for like 300 bucks. My paint also dosent have sealer(clearcoat?)on it.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Yeah, gas can expand. So stop filling 10 clicks past full. And, just so you lose sleep tonight. If you people out west don't stop that, the great state of Illinois will sue you for making acid rain, peeling the paint off of our cars....
(LOL)

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I would bet you were parked uphill, so there was air trapped in the forward part of the tank. When the gas evaporated into that air bubble and the pressure went up, there was nowhere for it to go but to push the liquid out the filler neck.

Sorry about your paint job, but gasoline shouldn't dissolve automotive paint.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts