Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all!
I'm a first time Mustang owner based in Edmonds, Washington.
My story is this: as a teenager my wife lusted over a baby blue Mustang her neighbors owned. The neighbors were off-loading it and offered it to her right around learning-to-drive age. But her parents were not willing to splurge on an antique car. (She ended up driving a Dodge Intrepid!)
So, as a GRAND GESTURE, for Christmas I pledged to get her her dream car.
We picked up a '65, 200, 6-cylinder, cruise-o-metic coupe in Arcadian Blue. Straight body. Pretty incredible original interior. New gas lines. Engine rebuilt in the mid-90s. Original options include power steering and air conditioning unit (though no compressor, etc. present).
We're looking to turn it into an around-town daily driver, though we want to keep the original aesthetic and as much of the original parts as possible. Goals include: upgrading to disc brakes (power?), installing three-point harnesses, finding a Bluetooth radio option. We also have the immediate needs of: connecting the e-brake, eliminating water leak on passenger side (possibly windshield seal), stopping power steering fluid leak.
I would LOVE to meet up with others locally to check out your cars and discuss option for mine.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.
--barker

Attachments

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Nice looking !!! Maybe we'll run into somewhere we're in Buckley.

The XXX in Issaquah has show & cruises every Sunday some specialty shows have already started. Great bunch of folks show up, if you can try to come out sometime.

http://triplexrootbeer.com/

Bob

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, lucky me, it looks like it's the windshield gasket (tiny drop) and ALSO the cowl (big time). I had the car outside in the ran for a couple of days and there's water under the dash both on the driver's and passenger's sides. I have an original A/C unit in there, so it's a little hard to easily look under the dash, but all signs point to a rusted cowl.
What's everyone's opinions on this? If I garage the thing and take it out only in dry weather, do I care about a rusted cowl. (I think I do.) Anyone have a walk-through of replacing it? Or a good shop that can do it for not a crazy amount of money?
Thanks @2nd 66 for the tip.

·
Dimples
3,782 Posts
Unless you're already embarking on a full resto, my best advice is to not worry about it too much. Keep it in the garage in wet weather and keep a cowl cover in the trunk:

Mustang COWL COVER, MAGNETIC | CC900-1M | NPD

My cowl has leaked since I got the car over 20 years ago. Aside from that it's pretty solid. It's garaged, so I have regarded it as a very minor nuisance with a very major fix, therefore, ignore and enjoy.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Welcome to the PNW section of the forum .
Been a little quiet around here lately .
Leaks and the Pacific Northwest? Shocking

·
Registered
67 Posts
Hi all!
I'm a first time Mustang owner based in Edmonds, Washington.
My story is this: as a teenager my wife lusted over a baby blue Mustang her neighbors owned. The neighbors were off-loading it and offered it to her right around learning-to-drive age. But her parents were not willing to splurge on an antique car. (She ended up driving a Dodge Intrepid!)
So, as a GRAND GESTURE, for Christmas I pledged to get her her dream car.
We picked up a '65, 200, 6-cylinder, cruise-o-metic coupe in Arcadian Blue. Straight body. Pretty incredible original interior. New gas lines. Engine rebuilt in the mid-90s. Original options include power steering and air conditioning unit (though no compressor, etc. present).
We're looking to turn it into an around-town daily driver, though we want to keep the original aesthetic and as much of the original parts as possible. Goals include: upgrading to disc brakes (power?), installing three-point harnesses, finding a Bluetooth radio option. We also have the immediate needs of: connecting the e-brake, eliminating water leak on passenger side (possibly windshield seal), stopping power steering fluid leak.
I would LOVE to meet up with others locally to check out your cars and discuss option for mine.
Thanks for welcoming me to the forum.
--barker
Welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Cowl covers are the greatest thing since sliced bread! Buy one, slap it on, and don't fret about it. If you end up at some point in the future, losing your mind (wink) and digging into the Mustang as a project, worry about fixing the cowl then. Once you start tearing into the car to "fix" things, you won't have a driver to enjoy any more for a very long time...then you'll end up buying another to drive while this one's out of commission and it quickly spirals out of control, downhill from there, lol.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Welcome,while the ac unit does take up some room under the dash you have plenty of room to look up at the cowl as the bad sections are probably at the ends,Around the vent on the drivers side and where the heater box gets air from the cowl is the most likely spots to find big holes.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Leaking PS are not uncommon. Where is the leak? Are the hoses old and cracked? Or Control valve? Dan from chockostangclassicmustang.com is a good address to get the parts and his advice. I can highly recommend working with him.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Well, lucky me, it looks like it's the windshield gasket (tiny drop) and ALSO the cowl (big time). I had the car outside in the ran for a couple of days and there's water under the dash both on the driver's and passenger's sides. I have an original A/C unit in there, so it's a little hard to easily look under the dash, but all signs point to a rusted cowl.
What's everyone's opinions on this? If I garage the thing and take it out only in dry weather, do I care about a rusted cowl. (I think I do.) Anyone have a walk-through of replacing it? Or a good shop that can do it for not a crazy amount of money?
Thanks @2nd 66 for the tip.
My opinion.......... while it is true you can keep it dry as much as possible, cover the cowl as often as possible, it is still a fact that as unpleasant as it is, rust really doesn't ever sleep. Humidity and moisture and condensation in the air settles to the rust and continues albeit a lot more slowly. It is also getting your carpet wet that will eventually rust your floor pans as carpet dries much too slowly on it's own. I have a lower front fender that will need attention when I can find a good guy to do it as most body guys I ever talk to don't want to fool with it as they would rather turn out volumes of insurance repair work.

·
Registered
856 Posts
Welcome to VMF from Arlington, WA!

About the cowl...yikes...yes, they are extraordinarily expensive to fix. Why? There's a bajillion spot welds that must be ground off (ok, it's like 150), and the cowl itself only comes complete. As in, one piece. As in, top AND bottom. It's a royal PITA to replace if you haven't caught my drift yet. Cost me about $3k IIRC 7 years ago.

Good body guys are hard to find. I had mine done at Randy Sargent's in Snohomish.

Oh and I second Chockostang - very knowledgeable and a nice guy to boot. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts