Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Forgive the newbie, but can you kind souls point me towards resources that will help me learn what I need to know to buy a Mustang?
I know that I want a 64.5 thru 68 convertible or coupe, but I want to do some research first so that I know what to look for/what to avoid/etc

TIA...

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
To start, try a forum search... it's at the top of the page. The subject has been discussed many times, and you'll probably find all you need. If, after that, you still have questions, c'mon back and ask.

Very short answer: Rust! Beware!

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
You may also want to check out a few books to see what options + equipment was available so you have a better idea of what to look for.

Prices vary widely between those years depending on engine, GT, condition, etc.

For rust, check the frame rails, front and rear, bottom corners of the doors (due to plugged drain holes), ft and rear lower areas of the 1/4's (due to plugged drain holes). Do a "cowl leak test" whereby you run a hose into the cowl vent grill and see if water enters into the passenger compartment. If so, cowl has rust thru and is a very significant repair. If possible, pull up the carpet under the driver and passenger front floor areas. These would tend to rust from the top-down. Look in the trunk for rust on the trunk drop off areas, look under the veh at the pan and torque boxes, check for cracking on the base of the shock front towers. Check battery tray/apron for rust thru due to battery acid.

These are just a few of the areas to be on the look for.

Good luck.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
As was mentioned, this forum is about as good a resource as you'll ever find for most everything Mustang and the price is right *G*

In your area, rust would be my #1 concern.

IIRC, there are a number of VMF'ers in your general area who could likely help out. Barring that, find a local Mustang club and do some hanging out and asking questions. Most club folks are very helpful. Also, unless you're mechanically inclined, seek out a good mechanic familiar with vintage Mustangs who can inspect any prospective purchases.

Welcome to the VMF...hope you enjoy your stay!

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Welcome aboard.
It's good to see you want to learn before you buy.
One thing to honestly evaluate, is yourself. How much work do you want to do? What do YOU want the car to be when it's done?( don't go by what others say you should do, it's your car!) What are your limitations? Many other factors will come to mind as you progress.
The last thing you'll want is to purchase a "project" that gets you in so deep, you throw up your hands in disgust and quit, after sinking your hard earned money into it.
Oh, ande this is important, if you find a Mustang to do, and you feel it's not for you, make sure you let us all know where it is... someone here may want it. But you look first!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good point...let me clarify

I'm looking for a car I can drive every day (not that I will), but is not a concourse winner.
I'm not planning on restoring it to show condition, but I don't want to have to stick in in the garage until a bunch of bodywork is done because I'm too ashamed to drive it.
I'm fairly mechanically adept (i.e, I can follow instructions & have just about every tool I would need), but to date, my modding has been limited to extensively 'enhancing' a new car.
I've been searching the forums...are there any good books out there for newbies?

btw, any NJ Mustang afficionados online? I'd love to meet up, see your cars, & see what you guys are up to.

Thx

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Hook up with some guys in a Mustang club (you don't usually have to own one to join)...

Get a copy of the Mustang pricing guide (about $5 or so from one of the Mustang parts sellers, like NPD)...

To SAC69's point, a copy of the Mustang Recognition Guide (about $20?) is a great resource...

Good luck and have fun! ::

1 - 7 of 7 Posts