Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here looking for advice. Thanks in advance guys. Guy I know has a I think it's the color tahoe turquoise 68 mustang coupe with clear title and 137,000 miles. He states it runs and drives great other than a exhaust leak. Interior was all completely redone a few years back other than carpet. Seats, headliner, dash all look great. He also has new parts that he never had time to install. New carb, chrome headers, air cleaner and valve covers. Paint is so so, vinyl top was fine till he had to store it outdoors the last year or two. Bottom back corner of driver door has some rust as well as the trunk lid. I think he said the gas tank and tank are all new or redone. It does however have some rotting on I believe the frame rails. You can see it when you look down either side of the engine bay. Driver side is worse. You can also see it behind driver front wheel. It's starting to rot pretty good. He wants $1,400 for it. My question is it worth it? Could I drive it for awhile before replacing those frame rails? Thanks again for any advice.

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
You need to find out how much rust there is in the entire car. If the front frame rails are obviously rotted out then I'd be highly suspicious that there is more that you haven't seen.
Even with the low purchase price you will soon find yourself upside-down when you start replacing major components of the unibody structure. You'll be far ahead paying $15000-$20000 for a car that has already had the rust repair done. Let the seller take the loss- not you.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts