Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 65 mustang. The guy I bought it from had the engine swapped from a I6 to V8 and the tranny to an automatic. What I'd like to know is if its a 260 or a 289 and what kind of tranny does it have. Is there an easy way of figuring it out? The rear differential was also changed to a five lug-nut, instead of a four, is this a posi-trac diff, or just a plain ol' diff? Lastly, it need the rear frame rails replaced, is there an easy (less complicated) way of replacing them? Thank you all for the help
Luis

·
Registered
832 Posts
I doubt it would be a 260 they are not so plentiful that some one would get one by accident and I doubt that someone would go to the bother to use one for a swap. (lower horsepower). the 260 has the smaller older bell housing.(but so do older 289's.
Jack up the rear end (both wheels off the ground). Spin one wheel. If they both turn in the same direction...You win.. it be a posi.
The easiest way to replace the frame rails is to watch TV while somebody else does it. $$$$$
jimbo

·
Registered
10,060 Posts
What he means by smaller bell housing is that there are 5 bolts holding it to the trans, the later cars (289's) had six bolts. There where some 5 bolt 289's also. The trans is probably a c-4, look at the trans pan and compare it to one from a service manual. You could also try and find the block part number along the sides.
One other thing, since you live in Aurora, check out the Chicago VMF section. We've got a few members out your way.

·
Registered
466 Posts
you say the back was switched to 5 lug.... what about the front, was it converted to 5 lug b/c if it wasnt, you BETTER CHANGE IT so you have the stopping power up front plus the right suspension for the bigger engine.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
The easiest way to replace the frame rails is to watch TV while somebody else does it.
:D :D :D

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was finally able to get under the car. I noticed that the trans is leaking, it seems to be leaking (a lot) from were the dipstick tube is attached to the trans, but its also missing (broken-off) a bolt. I'm thinking that the diptick tube has an O-ring, that might be bad. Does anyone know how to remove the tube? The trans is still on the car, I'd like to leave it in if possible.........I've had the car for a week now, and finally today I was able to drive it around the block. Today was the first day that I drove my dream car!!! Although it still needs a lot of work, I felt very proud of owning an American Classic.

Thanks all for the help
Luis
ps I don't have posi-track rear-end :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts