Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to chase down the cause of occasional stalling when accelerating from a stop, and noted other folks had solved the problem by mving the accelerator pump link to a different hole. I had been running at the top hole (of 4) on the back, where the clip is, but the front end (closest to the accel pump) was on the outside hole. Shop manual specifies that it should be on the inside hole, closest to pump.

I disconnected the back end (w/clip), but cannot seem to either get the front end out of its current hole (to reinsert in the inside hole), or slide it within the barbell-shaped cutout from one hole to the other. There doesn't seem to be anything removable on the underside of the arm end holding it there, so I assume that the end beneath the link is slightly mushroomed (in order to hold it in). I didn't want to just brute-force it out if that were the case, since there would be nothing to hold it in when inserted in the inside hole if I stripped the end. Am I missing something obvious? How does the arm come out of there cleanly?

Also, I seem to have some leakage from the accelerator pump at the front, and I'm going to replace the diaphragm. Shop manual suggests taking the whole carb top off to do so, while others here have said that you just need to remove the 4 screws and pop it in (though I'd need to take of dizzy cap to reach lower screws). If doing this with the carb in place, do I need to remove the fuel line or something to prevent gas spewing all over, or would it just be a small amount (whatever's in bowls) that came out when I remove the door?

Any assistance greatly appreciated- I'm trying to learn, while screwing things up as little as possible ;)

·
Registered
191 Posts
As I recall, the accelerator pump link should have a little tang sticking out on the side of it near the end (under the lever). You may have to remove the pump cover to be able to rotate the link far enough to remove the link from the lever. As for fuel loss when removing the cover, you should only lose the fuel that's behind the diaphragm unless the check valve is leaking. If the link is already in the top hole and the outside hole you are currently getting the maximum stroke of the accelerator pump. Moving the link to any of the other holes should reduce the amount of fuel shot per stroke.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks much for reply. I thought I'd read here that top hole and inside hole was the combination that gave that maximum stroke/squirt, though?

I'll go ahead and pull the accelerator pump cover, and see if I can get the link off then. It may be moot after replacing the diaphragm anyway if there are no other leaks in the carb. Thanks again for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts