Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'66 vert, 289 4v with thermactor. Rough to start after it's been sitting overnight...takes several attempts, then I have to keep mild pressure on gas for a couple minutes (no tach, so I don't know what RPM range I have to bring it to) else it chugs and bogs down. Starts fine if it's been run in the last few hours.

After about 10 mins, runs great. After it gets warmer, though, it idles sort of rough when in gear at a stop light (moves whole car), though if I put it in neutral the idle is smooth and car doesn't rock. Worse, it's now starting to hesitate for a moment or even stall when I start to accellerate from a stop, only when fully warmed up.

Also, when fully warmed up and accelerating, I get a new noise in the motor, something like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. It's not real loud, goes away when the car is out of gear, and doesn't appear until motor is fully warmed up.

Given my very limited knowledge (thus far) of mechanics, I'm guessing a choke prob causing the rough starting, but am unsure after that. Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated...I have the shop manual and a willingness to learn ;):

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Does sound like carburetion or ignition.

Find out how to properly adjust all the carb's settings, and make sure the ignition's components are in good order, particularly points and condensor (if so equipped).

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Sounds like the timing needs to be checked and adjusted. That is where I would start.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Points and condenser are new, as are plugs, etc. I don't get the feeling the "pro" I paid to do this really knows his stuff on older cars (and I had it done just after car was delivered, so don't have a good point of reference).

I just bought a Pertronix I- should I install it before trying to chase this other crap down (in hopes it might help), or would that complicate the search?

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
The points have to open up a specific amount (it's been awhile but I believe it's .017") as the breaker cam opens them.......it's worth mentioning some brands of points SUCK even brand new (I used motorcraft exclusively).

THEN the timing has to be set.

Many folks also set the idle mixture WAAAAYYY too rich. without going into detail, the two screws on the front of the carb at the bottom should almost never really need to be turned out more than 2.5 turns from gently bottomed out......AND BOTH TURNED OUT THE SAME AMOUNT!!!

You really should buy a book or two, BTW.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
"You really should buy a book or two, BTW. "

As I mentioned, I bought the shop manual. I've been trying to absorb as much as possible from it and from reading here both past and present posts) relentlessly. Some stuff registers, other things don't (so far). Everybody's go to start someplace when learnng totally new skills, and a lot of folks my age or older are scared to even try.

Any other suggestions for reading appreciated, as are the suggestions offered above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts