Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 66 coupe motor and am having a hell of a time with removing the rocker studs out of the old heads so i can put them into the new. I can't find the right size to just buy new ones and they keep snapping off. Someone help please. The motor is a 289 with 302 heads. Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am assuming that they are pressed in because if they were screwed in I would have presumably been able to get them out with the special tool I bought to specifically remove rocker studs. All I know is that they are not coming out and I am having a hell of a time finding replacements. I am about ready to scrap it all and sell her.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
I'm assuming that they're pressed in also. How exactly does this "special tool" work. I've never tried to remove pressed in studs at home before, so I'm not sure how much help I can be... wouldn't something like this be better performed at a local machine shop?

If they all came out easily, how would you get them back in?

Dave

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have always done my own repairs with this job being the most in depth I have attempted. I would not even know how to go about finding a machine shop...

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Yellow pages.... Automotive Machine Shop.

Either that or call an established local garage and ask them where the local machine shop is located. Even if you're in the middle of an Indian reservation in North Dakota (which you're not), they'll be a machine shop within a reasonable distance.

If nothing else, the local machine shop could tell you what you're doing wrong...

Removing pressed-in rocker studs isn't something that most around here do with any regularity...

When you get frustrated with any given repair of the car, just walk away for a few hours. It ain't worth it to get all worked up over a cylinder head, besides Monday Night Football is coming on...

Dave

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Removing the press in studs is somewhat easy. You need a larger nut that fits over the stud and rests on top of the stud boss on the head. You may need a few of those as you go thru this little exercise. Make sure the top of the larger nut is higher than the threads on the stud. Put the rocker arm nut on the stud and start screwing it down. As it becomes tighter, you will raise the stud out of the head. When the rocker arm nut bottoms out on the threads of the stud, put another nut on top of the first one and re-install the rocker arm nut, and start tightening it down again. Even having gone thru all this, what are you putting into the new heads? You can't really re-use these old ones. Screw in studs should be the way to go. So, I'm taking it that you simply want to remove the studs to save the labor of the machine shop, right? Machine shops are easy to find, too. Any reputable auto parts store could tell you where to go find a reputable machine shop that does car engine work.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts