Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 65 coupe that has after-factory a/c installed. I don't know if it works. The compressor doesn't even have a belt on it. I was thinking of just yanking the thing out because the compressor just clutters up the engine compartment and the A/C itself inside isn't useful without the compressor. The question I have is, there is a hose connected from the compressor to the radiator. If I remove the compressor, what do I plug the hole in the radiator with? As you may tell by my lingo.. Im somewhat new to mustangs and repairing cars in general, so please, if you know, help me out.

Thanks

Josh

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Dont' take it apart, get a belt & see what happens. The hoses runs to the evaporator (I think that's the right name) not the radiator. The evaporator sits in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok.... I will try running it and see what happens. Guess I need to find a belt now. Any suggestions on where? If it is non-functional. Do you have any thoughts on how to plug the "evaporator"?

Thanks for the quick response, by the way.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The A/c is a closed system. The hose runs to the compressor. If it is functioning and full of R-12 you should not just let all that stuff out into the atmosphere (have a pro purge the system for you).
However, if you pull the compressor, you will not have to plug any of the holes or worry about anything leaking (but the inital freon purge).
If this is a race car and you don't ever see the need for a/c take it out (but I'd recommend saving it, once you get old like me, you may want to put it back in)
I too would recommend seeing what if anything is wrong with it and if it only needs a belt and a charge get it working.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
The hose you are refering to attaches to the condensor in front of the radiator. Your radiator won't leak if you take the hose loose, but you would want to remove the condensor as well, to improve airflow through the radiator. But, I agree with Cruzer. I'd keep it and try to get it working. If you decide not to keep the unit, there are probably folks on the forum who would purchase the parts from you.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
try and get that AC workin, I'd KILL to have AC in at least one of my cars. I guess the bare sheetmetal floors and uninsulated firewall dont help much either

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I agree with the others...see if you can get the unit working. A refrigeration mechanic can test the compressor for you to make sure its lubed with refrigeration oil and leak test it. The lines you are talking about run to the condensor in front of the radiator, and probably through a water dryer there too, which should be replaced. Then two circulation lines run to your evaporator unit under the dash. If the unit is complete and not missing hoses, components, etc., it would be well worth having it be functional. And factory A/C really helps with your car valuation. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I would guess that if the hose was removed before you bought the car, the A/C doesn't work anymore. Why would someone remove the belt and leave it off if the unit worked? I probably wouldn't mess with buying a belt and trying to get it working. The whole unit is a pain in the rear to work around within the engine compartment, and it's in the way inside, too. The inside portion of the A/C system will have to be remove before replacing the carpet, so if you plan on doing that AND if you decide to keep the unit, replace the carpet first before you spend the money to have it checked out. My A/C set-up in the coupe is about 1/2 removed and the evaporator is still in place--it doesn't seem to affect the cooling system of my car at this point.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You can go to your local autozone or pep boys if you have those in your area. Pop the hood and ask the counter guy to help. They usually like to. If you don't have one of the autozones or pep boys you could remove the entire system and send it to me postage paid of course, and I will check it on my car.......
Donald
P.S. I recommend leaving it my car for at least three years to work out any bugs

1 - 11 of 11 Posts