Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

this is my first time on this forum so let me just introduce myself real quick, I’m 18, currently saving up for a 1965 6 cylinder with disk brakes that a family friend of ours has. Here’s my big question: Where in the world will i be able to get insurance? And what can i expect to pay ballpark? My mother agreed she can own the car in her name, and she could be the primary driver with me as a secondary. (Also planning to insure as a daily driver & car is priced at 10000$ so might be able to keep the rates down?)
She currently drives a fiat 500 as her primary, if that’s relevant.
What are my options here in terms of where to go and how much i should expect to pay? Thank you very much to anyone who responds :)

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
Welcome to VMF! No biggie really..The types of coverage and the deductible set the price for the most part for a daily driver. I assume you do not currently have your own car or policy and you live with mom.... Most states require you to have liability coverage...that only pays for what you hit, and based on your state you may be able to pick the max amount the ins co would have to pay out...in MD, its 15k....that is truly not much, so it goes up, 25k, 50k, or last 100k.....Your premium cost reflects what amount of liability coverage you choose...no deductible because they are not paying anything toward your car or tow bill. Medical coverage is also included for you and passengers, but again, you can have the state-required minimum, or choose higher and pay more. Next, you can add comprehensive coverage and choose a deductible-that covers you against theft, fire, vandalism, hitting an animal, maybe a cracked windshield, hail, stuff like that..Then there's th biggie, collision coverage, that pays for the damages and towing to your car, or the market value of the car (its totaled) Their not stupid down at the insurance company if mom has a fiat 500 and then add's a 65 mustang and says she will be the primary driver and oh by the way I have an 18-year-old son that lives here....we kinda put 2 and 2 together...So, if you just want liability on this 10k car it's not going to be that bad whether its a later model car or this car..either way it's going to be expensive, call around to different companies for rate quotes, understand what is and is not covered in your policy choices. Be sitting down! Now if you add comp and collision, it is noticeably more, but the lions share of what you pay for is that liability coverage. Good luck and I hope your mechanically inclined so we can help you work on the thing if you get it!

·
Registered
37,701 Posts
With the car being registered in Mom's name the best place to start would be with the agent/company that handles her Fiat's insurance. You should be able to obtain coverage that, with applicable multi-policy discounts, etc., should be competitive. Unfortunately, as a daily-driver and with a driver in the household under 25 the chances of agreed-value classic car insurance coverage is virtually impossible.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Welcome to VMF! No biggie really..The types of coverage and the deductible set the price for the most part for a daily driver. I assume you do not currently have your own car or policy and you live with mom.... Most states require you to have liability coverage...that only pays for what you hit, and based on your state you may be able to pick the max amount the ins co would have to pay out...in MD, its 15k....that is truly not much, so it goes up, 25k, 50k, or last 100k.....Your premium cost reflects what amount of liability coverage you choose...no deductible because they are not paying anything toward your car or tow bill. Medical coverage is also included for you and passengers, but again, you can have the state-required minimum, or choose higher and pay more. Next, you can add comprehensive coverage and choose a deductible-that covers you against theft, fire, vandalism, hitting an animal, maybe a cracked windshield, hail, stuff like that..Then there's th biggie, collision coverage, that pays for the damages and towing to your car, or the market value of the car (its totaled) Their not stupid down at the insurance company if mom has a fiat 500 and then add's a 65 mustang and says she will be the primary driver and oh by the way I have an 18-year-old son that lives here....we kinda put 2 and 2 together...So, if you just want liability on this 10k car it's not going to be that bad whether its a later model car or this car..either way it's going to be expensive, call around to different companies for rate quotes, understand what is and is not covered in your policy choices. Be sitting down! Now if you add comp and collision, it is noticeably more, but the lions share of what you pay for is that liability coverage. Good luck and I hope your mechanically inclined so we can help you work on the thing if you get it!
Thank you for the great info! I live in MD too (rockville area). What insurance would you guess is best for me? I’d be driving ~10000 miles a year

1 - 6 of 6 Posts