Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I just bought myself a real nice 66 289 Caspian Blue (pictures in the future) and I am extremely eager to get
started with Restomoding the car. The first thing that is on my list is suspension upgrade. What do you guys think I should do.

Should I buy an independent suspension system from TMC for 2200. Or should I piece on together for less.. I don't know how much difference in handling each would give me so any advice will be appreciated

Second is the stereo head unit issue.. I went to California Mustangs and they said that the only headunits I could buy to replace the originals are those ones that they sell.. But I have seen a lot of people's mustangs with modern headunits.. Is a matter of cutting space for the units? How hard is it to cut the material?

Thanks a lot guys ...

·
Registered
148 Posts
First, how much are you looking to spend? You can get a good vintage setup for relatively inexpensive (compared to coil overs) or you can spend the extra money and get a total control front coilover setup and your car will handle great and people will get a little suprise when they look up under your fenders at shows.

Next the stereo, the material is not hard to cut. all you need to do is make a template of the new headunit on your dash, get a rotozip and a really steady hand and your good. But if you want to not mar the dash then you either have to get a shaft style radio or... make a console where you can put the new unit or in the glovebox or wherever. THis is your car. Just sit down and think of creative ideas for it. Creativity is what really counts in this hobby I believe. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the post street i appreciate the advice.. about the suspension is there that must difference from coilover and non coilover setup where it comes to handling? I am also looking to put in the power rack and pinion steering from TCP... Basically I don't mind spending about 4 to 5 g's on the suspension and handling since i believe they are the most important part about the car.

·
7,025 Posts
I'm pondering my front suspension right now too. The conclusion I've come to is that anything beyond stock is probably overkill unless you are going to take it to the track (as several of our VMF buddies do).

If you ARE going to take it to the track, you should seek advice from someone that has already done that. I would suspect they might recommend tubular control arms, good springs, lower control arms, and a negative wedge kit of some flavor....but I'd leave that to them. For good street handing, rebuild or replace your control arms, spring saddles, coil springs, and shocks with new...and you will benefit greatly. Also, old mustangs really benefit with an export brace and monte carlo bar under the hood and subframe connectors.

Don't even THINK about hacking your dash for a DIN stereo. Frankly I can't recommend any of the CustomAutosound units or similar. I've got one and it sucks. I think the guys that have mounted DIN receivers with removable face plates in their glove boxes, and wired the faceplates to act as remotes have THE hot setup. Better and cheaper than those Custom Autosound units.

Good luck with whatever you decide and welcome.

Phil

·
Registered
359 Posts
You'll probably eventually regret cutting the dash. All of us here have seen some real hack jobs (and I mean that literally) that greatly reduced the value of an otherwise perfectly good Mustang. It's your car, of course, and you are entitled (and expected!) to do with it what pleases you -- I'd just like to urge you to give it some real thought before you commit to it. It's very hard to undo.

My dash was cut by the previous owner. I'm glad I can use a DIN stereo, and I'm glad it wasn't me making the decision, but the fact that it's cut nags at me a little bit. If it were me, I'd build a console on the hump, under the dash, and put the stereo in there.

·
Registered
804 Posts
There is a guy at a lot of the Swap Meets that take an AM radio and convert it to AM/FM. Really cool as it looks original, but has the FM stuff. Presets even work.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
http://www.globalwest.net/mustang_1964%20-73%20catalog.htm This is what I have on the Clone Vert. Hoosier Buddy's right it might be overkill. My 65 GT350 clone has the Shelby drop with 650 coils, midolene bushings and manual steering. It handles pretty darn good.

I had Z28's all through the 80s and really like the "go-kart" feel that they have.(OK shoot me)
That's what I'm aiming for with the Clone Vert.

Do some searches on the site.
Shelby Drop
Midolene
urethane
Global West
TCP
Alignment
Really big kit

Hope that helps. Dan
P.S. Don't cut the dash! PO did mine too and it's a little crooked. Bugs me every time I get in the car. Ruined!

·
Registered
709 Posts
If you cut the dash there will be a space on each side since the dash is not flat there. My opinion if you decide to cut is to just keep the pieces you cut out. They can always be welded in, a little putty work and paint and it's like new. Not the popular choice here as you can tell.
I installed a neg. wedge setup, stiffer spring, heavier front anti-roll bar, and a slight lowering on the mustang and it handles better than most everything on the road, though it has the ride of a 1 ton truck. Oh, and big sticky tires too! ::
-Brian

·
Registered
692 Posts
I guess I don't think like everyone else. You said you want to restomod the car and you're thinking of completely changing the front suspension, so go ahead and cut the dash. A full restomod with an original AM radio in the dash is just plain silly. If you wind up selling the car in the future, anyone that buys it is going to know its a restomod and expect an upgraded stereo. If a future buyer wanted an original dash, he wouldn't be looking at a restomod.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts