Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Stangers...

Bought a 73 Convertible a couple years ago. Runs, but has a bad cylinder, etc... decided to rebuild. When we bought the car, we were told it had a 351C... come to find out (now that the motor is completely outside the car) that it's a 351 Modified (or whatever you want to label M)...

Anywho... the car ran strong, even on only 7 cylinders, kicks @ss off the line and never left me stranded. Always garaged, never seen bad weather.

Can anyone tell me what's up with a 351M? How it compares to a 351C? Pros / cons...

I'll figure out how to post a pic soon... remember --> newbie..

Jenn in OH

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
IIRC the 351M is a Cleveland design motor (335-series), used for trucks, mostly. It uses the Cleveland style heads, and according to my weights book its about 25 lbs heavier than a 351C, not enough to worry about. Other than being typecast as a "truck engine" I dont think there are any serious issues b/w it and a 351C.

I know a few folks who have had great success punching out 351Ms and 400s to 475CI or so, and using 351C heads on them. They usually go into Panteras. The 351M-400 blocks are usually about thrown away by junkyards because "they arent performance" so these guys get them for near nothing ::

you might see about putting 351C heads on your motor, and with a good rebuild it should def put a smile on your face :D

·
Registered
48 Posts
The 351 M has a longer stroke, therefore it has a taller deck height. It also (I think) has a beefier crank and larger bearings. Many parts such as the heads and cam are inter-changable. Post the casting number on the drivers side rear block. It should be D2AE-CA or similar for a cleveland. Others on this forum can tell you what it is if their different.

The cleveland should rev faster than the modified.

Who told you it was a mod and not a cleveland?
Any possibility they were mistaken.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
Welcome! Can't give you a rundown on the Pros/Cons of a 351 C(cleveland) Vs 351 W (Windsor) Vs 351 M (Modified). I can tell you if it is a 351M, it's a truck motor that was never available stock in Mustangs. All I know is they are supposed to be very torquey.

SprintCC

·
Registered
933 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!!! It's nice to have another member from the Cincy area.

Scott

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys...

The shop that it's at (Double Dragon Customs in Ohio) pulled the old engine out and noticed the motor mounts had been modified. That's when they realized they needed to look at the engine (and not trust what what supposedly in the car). They're suspicions were right and it seems as though the previous owners did this, but never informed me when I bought the car.. .they told me it had a 351C. (now I'm angry)

I just read another thread about 351M's and it sounds like people don't like this engine too much... Trust me, I'd love to drop the 351C in it, but then I have to change too much stuff... I just want the car to run smooth and be dependable. It's not a show car, but would like to take it to shows, etc.

Thanks again for you help.

Jenn in OH

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ScottStang - Thanks... we just moved here from Maryland... previously lived in Virginia... but originally from Boston. So far we like Cincinnati a whole bunch better than MD... people are nicer, friendlier, and everything is like 10-30 minutes away!

Maybe we'll see you around...

Jenn & Mike in OH

·
Registered
933 Posts
Yes, it is a nice area to live in. BTW you may be interested to know that there is a Mustang and Ford show this Sunday 7/27 which is being hosted by the Tri-State Mustang Club. If you want more information on it's location ant times etc. go to www.tristatemustang.com

Scott

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Thanks guys...

The shop that it's at (Double Dragon Customs in Ohio) pulled the old engine out and noticed the motor mounts had been modified. That's when they realized they needed to look at the engine (and not trust what what supposedly in the car). They're suspicions were right and it seems as though the previous owners did this, but never informed me when I bought the car.. .they told me it had a 351C. (now I'm angry)

I just read another thread about 351M's and it sounds like people don't like this engine too much... Trust me, I'd love to drop the 351C in it, but then I have to change too much stuff... I just want the car to run smooth and be dependable. It's not a show car, but would like to take it to shows, etc.

Thanks again for you help.

Jenn in OH

do not despair! As I mentioned in my above reply, many dismiss the 351M but a few ppl get a lot of power out of them b/c they took the time to look :) With 351C heads and a good rebuild it will perform more than adequately for your purposes....or, alternately, you can prob find a running pull-out 351C for a few hundred shekels (or non running for less) and go that way. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts