Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to put some new shoes on my pony in the near future. I have never really bought a set of wheels where i had to worry about fit but am going to be putting 17x7 TT2s all around. The wheel chart proved very helpful in choosing wheel size and tire size. However, i have never worked with wheels my self and am a little confused about the backspacing thing on these wheels. What exactly is backspacing and more importantly when ordering TT2's for my mustang are all 17x7's the same or is the backspacing built into the wheel? Thanks

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
The standard backspacing on the 17x7 TT's is 4" (505-7765). The backspacing is measured by laying a straight edge across the back of the wheel and then measuring to the hub face.
The most common size for the early mustang in 17" is the 17x8" with 4 3/4 (505-7866) backspacing. Little wider rim.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I've just ordered TTII's, 17x8 for the back and 17x7 for the front, 4" BS on the front and 4.75" on the back. I'm going to run 225/45 on the front, and 245/45 on the back. Initial fit was great but one of the wheels was damaged and they had mistakenly mounted a 215/45 on the front so it looked a bit whimpy, will look better with the 225. You can run the 17x8 up front if you wish and should be Ok with a 235/45 according to popular opinion around here. If you're unsure get a local wheel shop to order the wheels for you and then they can test fit so you can see how they look. That's what I did and it was a big help to be able to see the different sizes mounted. I don't have them installed yet as one of the 17x7's was damaged in shipping, but I'm looking forward to getting them on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts