Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a while and feel it's time show myself. I'm definately a forum guy and have gotten and given a lot to my hobbies via the interwebs and my Mustang is now in the lime light.

Short story: The car a recently aquired from my grandfather (much longer story) has been in our family since 1967 when my mother bought it in high school soon after blowing up a 51 Studebaker. Around 69 the car was wrecked and my grandfather bought her back with the original title for very little. He then "restored" the care during the first part of the 70's.

Fast forward to 1989 and for the next 4-5 years I can remember riding on the back of the car in parades, which inevitably lead me to develop the obsession I still have now.

Fast forward to just a few months ago and I finally talked my grandfather into selling me the car I've been hounding him for since I was 16.

After I got the car and started tearing into it, I found all the hidden "restoration". The rear quarters were hammered some what straight and covered in bondo as was the doors. The fenders had been replaced and the rusted floors were covered in fiberglass.

The only thing that saved the car from this point on was that it sat parked in a garage for 12+ years from when my brother let the car overheat and bent a rod. After getting the heads off, I foudn the bent rod and destroyed exhaust valve. I also found significant scarring in the number 4 cylinder where apparantly he dropped some debris from a spark plug change and never told anyone. Also upon examination I discovered that my grandfather, when he had the 289 bored out, bored it out to.60, which is probably why I remember the car always running hot.

So I've started the tear down and have grand plans to create a resto mod out of my c-code 65 with a new power plant, sheetmetal, updated suspension, T5 tranny, and other goodies to make this thing look original with a few creature comforts to make the long drives I want to take enjoyable.

Thanks for letting me share and I hope to gather a lot of info from VMF as I progress through my build. Pics coming as soon as my hosting site starts working.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Good Luck and welcome to the Forum! My advice is to take lots of pictures; I really wished I had documented what I did a lot better.

Also, post some of those pictures! I am curios to see what this car looks like!

Good Luck,
Derek

·
Registered
176 Posts
Great story and awesome to know the history back to the begining. I am sure your grandfather will be pleased when he sees the progress.

Best of luck.

·
I won a special award
7,409 Posts
:worthless:

·
Registered
396 Posts
That's awesome! Congratulations.
do you think your Mom, or Brother will ever get to drive it (under your adult supervision, of course.) ;)
Yeah, man, let's see some pictures. :thumbsup:
It's always fun to follow along with someone's progress. Plus with all the experience from the good folk here, if someone see's something that may not work well, they'll jump in to help. :pirate:

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for letting this thread go. I had to dig for it as apparently I didn't subscribe to it to remind me to post. Anyway, below are some pictures I have from when I picked the car up this January to just last weekend when my wife and I almost finished stripping the car (except doors, steering column, and trunk deck brackets)

loaded with my grandfather (he really smiling)

My girl in MY driveway

And the work begins (wife still checking out the new lady friend)

Moved the car to a bigger shop (father-in-laws airplane hanger) and this is her as of last weekend

·
Registered
197 Posts
Ditto on that... Mine is totaling around 21k right now and still much more to go. Good luck, it'll all be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been setting a budget and it looks like I'll be in the same range y'all are in. I'm ready and just want her done right.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,007 Posts
Welcome to the VMF! You're in the right place.
Enjoy the experience of working on it. Memories are made this way. While you might curse and wipe a bit of sweat or blood off a few times, in the end you'll smile and be so glad you did it all.
Best of luck and keep the pics coming!
John

·
Registered
470 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Looks like you're in it up to you're eyeballs now. Love the room you have in that airplane hanger. Good luck with the restoration and mods.

Doug

·
Registered
204 Posts
Welcome. Looks like you have a nice project.

Ah the memories. Your car reminds me of my first car. A 1965 convertible K code 4 speed with Rally Pack the same colors as yours. My dad was a police officer and used the car as a police car. I got the car on my 16th birthday. The sad part is when I joined the army, and bought a new car, he sold it for $50 to some stranger who took the motor out and put it in a bronco.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, I've been busy every Saturday working on the Mustang and heating the credit card during the week.

I have replaced both passenger side inner aprons, the radiator support, and finally took the doors off and built steel braces.

I also bought a sweet homemade rotisserie from a VMF memeber that is already set up for a 65 car.

A few pictures (haven't downloaded the rear apron and door braces yet)

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We've gotten the quarters off and replaced a section of the outer wheel well and the trunk drop off. My spot weld drilling skills are now spot on and my welding and metal massaging are getting better. Anyway, I know y'all like pictures so lets get to it.

http://img225.imageshack.us/img225/4960/p9100585.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5461/p9100586.jpg
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/5553/p9110595.jpg

...and now to tackle the rain channel... :bricks:
http://img121.imageshack.us/img121/6685/p9110610h.jpg

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
abrahamfh said:
Im jealous, you have so much room to actually seperate and store parts. Looks good, impressed with your determination. Keep it up.
My father-in-law rents 2 airplane hangars on a small private field where he builds custom, homebuilt air planes. One is empty for now and he was going to give it up, so I chimed in and took it over. It's been well worth the money to have the space.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts