Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi’ just new to the forum as we just bought a 65 mustang. It has been restored to a nice original condition. Has 200 with 3 speed on the floor and drove it home today. When I got home I noticed it had a cracked exhaust manifold. Was wondering if there’s good place to get one and if there was any tips on changing it out. I’m sure I’ll have more questions. Thanks Tater

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
It's an easy R&R job if the bolts come out. There's an unfortunate tendency for the rear corner of the head to break off when that bolt is loosened. Best to start soaking the bolts a week ahead of time with PB Blaster or something similar.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Welcome to the forum, you're in the right place for any questions/info you could ever want. Congrats on the car, we love pictures on here!

Someone will chime in on the exhaust manifold. There are many good online vendors that sell repro parts. I perfer National Parts Depot, as they tend to make quality items, IMO. You can also check out CJ Pony Parts (but beware of awful customer service but they do offer free shipping on all items)

The i6 is a great engine, I love mine. Check out classicinlines and fordsix.com. You will find a bunch of great info only on the sixes there.

Welcome, and good luck!

·
Registered
35,848 Posts
Thanks for the info what causes the head to break off?
Ford didn't put quite enough metal on the corner. OK when they're new, but after 30-40 years rust in the threads locks the bolt in pretty solid.

·
Registered
637 Posts
It's an easy R&R job if the bolts come out. There's an unfortunate tendency for the rear corner of the head to break off when that bolt is loosened. Best to start soaking the bolts a week ahead of time with PB Blaster or something similar.
This was inserting new bolts, using cleaned threads, and anti-seize compound. :crybaby:

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
how did you find out about the cracked manifold? is your car have the manual brakes and clutch also?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You could see the big crack and one bolt tab was also broke. Checked the bolts today and i think i will luck out as they all seam like they will back out. yes it has manual brakes and a clutch.

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
That looks ike you got a real "clean" one!!! You will have a lot of fun! Enjoy it!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks we will & yes its in great shape. Its nice to have one that doesn't need a bunch of work!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts