Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wanted to share some pictures of my newly acquired 1965 Fastback GT. Car was purchased from a gentleman that owned it since 1977. He restored it during downtime at his previously owned/operated Mustang shop in the Pismo Beach, CA area. His goal was to restore it to stock-spec using only OE Ford parts, and from what I see, was quite successful.

Details on the car: Built in Michigan on May 7 1965, originally Rangoon red (now 66 candy apple red), black vinyl interior, DSO Atlanta, 3.50 rear axle, 4 spd (upgraded to Toploader). To achieve the his goal of a stock-spec restoration, he even had the original style dual exhaust installed with 4 resonators. The car is very quiet compared to what I'm used to hearing (not necessarily a bad thing!).

Future plans are minimal: Install rear seatbelts, repair rally pac clock, 17" Legendary LW20 wheels/tires, and possibly lower it 1-2". Still undecided about the wheel upgrade as I do appreciate the originality and elegance of how it currently looks :unsure:

·
Registered
837 Posts
That is a gorgeous car! Clearly that gentleman went to great pains to restore it like new. I have the LW20s on my car and I love them. But mine is a resto-mod and the wheels are a modern interpretation of the original, which is what a resto-mod is. I’m not sure they would add anything to your beautiful car except for perhaps greater choices in tires. Enjoy!

Reactions: Sydewaysix

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is a gorgeous car! Clearly that gentleman went to great pains to restore it like new. I have the LW20s on my car and I love them. But mine is a resto-mod and the wheels are a modern interpretation of the original, which is what a resto-mod is. I’m not sure they would add anything to your beautiful car except for perhaps greater choices in tires. Enjoy!
agree, they would give my car a bit of a modern look with the LW20 wheels but not 100% sure I want to do that (yet). Do you have pictures of your car with the LW20's? If I do the wheel upgrade, I will need to finish the look by lowering it a bit, which I am not sure I want to do either.

·
Registered
837 Posts
agree, they would give my car a bit of a modern look with the LW20 wheels but not 100% sure I want to do that (yet). Do you have pictures of your car with the LW20's? If I do the wheel upgrade, I will need to finish the look by lowering it a bit, which I am not sure I want to do either.

Attachments

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That’s beautiful! What size wheel/tire are you running? Is the cat lowered?

·
Registered
837 Posts
That’s beautiful! What size wheel/tire are you running? Is the cat lowered?
Thank you! Wheels are 16x8, front tires are 215/60 and rears are 215/60. The car has the Shelby/Arning drop in the front and lowering springs in the back.

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
212 Posts
Wanted to share some pictures of my newly acquired 1965 Fastback GT. Car was purchased from a gentleman that owned it since 1977. He restored it during downtime at his previously owned/operated Mustang shop in the Pismo Beach, CA area. His goal was to restore it to stock-spec using only OE Ford parts, and from what I see, was quite successful.

Details on the car: Built in Michigan on May 7 1965, originally Rangoon red (now 66 candy apple red), black vinyl interior, DSO Atlanta, 3.50 rear axle, 4 spd (upgraded to Toploader). To achieve the his goal of a stock-spec restoration, he even had the original style dual exhaust installed with 4 resonators. The car is very quiet compared to what I'm used to hearing (not necessarily a bad thing!).

Future plans are minimal: Install rear seatbelts, repair rally pac clock, 17" Legendary LW20 wheels/tires, and possibly lower it 1-2". Still undecided about the wheel upgrade as I do appreciate the originality and elegance of how it currently looks :unsure:

View attachment 750983

View attachment 750984

View attachment 750985

View attachment 750986

View attachment 750987
beautiful fastback! I like the old school look of tires, I have the same rims, only a ordered 1" wider rim for the rear, with tires, 195-75-14 ft. 245-60-14 rears

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
beautiful fastback! I like the old school look of tires, I have the same rims, only a ordered 1" wider rim for the rear, with tires, 195-75-14 ft. 245-60-14 rears
WOuld love to see pics of how your car looks with the slightly wider rears? Got any pictures? Also, did you lower the car any and do you get any rubbing issues?

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Beautiful car!

So you know, if being 100% accurate is important to you, your GT stripes are the wrong color. They should be black on a Candyapple car with black interior. Easy to swap or ignore if you prefer. I think the white looks good.

·
Premium Member
4,359 Posts
That is GoRgEoUs and I don't think I would change a thing. (Other than maybe the correct stripe.) Some cars are so well-preserved and deserve to stay that way for history's sake. Very nice.

Reactions: Sydewaysix

·
Registered
65 Fastback 289 4 spd, 65 convertible 5.0L 5 spd. 3.73 8.8
212 Posts
WOuld love to see pics of how your car looks with the slightly wider rears? Got any pictures? Also, did you lower the car any and do you get any rubbing issues?
Sorry, I've been farming. I will try to send it

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Beautiful car!

So you know, if being 100% accurate is important to you, your GT stripes are the wrong color. They should be black on a Candyapple car with black interior. Easy to swap or ignore if you prefer. I think the white looks good.
Correct. The car was painted 66 candy apple red but since it’s a 65 I assume he wanted to keep the white stripes ? either way, I like the contrast of the white stripes so I’ll leave it for now. Thanks for the compliments!

·
Dimples
4,848 Posts
Correct. The car was painted 66 candy apple red but since it’s a 65 I assume he wanted to keep the white stripes ? either way, I like the contrast of the white stripes so I’ll leave it for now. Thanks for the compliments!
Oooh, good call. Not sure how I missed that.

·
Banned
3 Posts
but not 100% sure I want to do that (yet). Do you have pictures of your car with the LW20's? If I do the wheel upgrade, I will need to finish the look by lowering it a bit, which I am not sure I want to do either.
Tutuapp 9Apps ShowBox

1 - 18 of 18 Posts