Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had another 'can't pass it up' deal fall in my lap a couple days ago. This car was at a body shop for and engine and trans rebuild, as well as fuel and brake lines, shocks, and brakes. The work was done, but the bill wasn't paid in full. FF almost 8 years, and I was able to snag the car for the remainder of the bill! Yes- 8 years the car sat in the corner of the shop! 10 hours on the road today and she's home. Beside needing the rear quarters and drop offs, the rear rails are a little soft. Other than that, it's a pretty solid platform for whatever comes next. It's a 6 cyl automatic, but I've got a complete V8 drivetrain from another '66 right down to the dual exhaust that I can slap into it. I told BlakeTX I was toying with the idea of a street legal stock car- stripped interior, leave the exterior 'patina', but solid underpinings. The possibilities are endless, right?!? lol

Attachments

·
Registered
3,068 Posts
I assume you are retired?:grin2:

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Dammit man! Nice find. Wish I could stumble upon something like this for my kid's first car.
I'm out of places to put Mustangs and parts now.

I may be done having kids, but I'm not too old to play with cars !

Nice find, @gt350sr !

Attachments

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Whoa, That car that you picked up looks like a REAL 1966 "Sprint 200". I want the numbers and some pics of the car before you cut her up!...

gt350sr, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] ..... Thanks. ...So I can get her in the Sprint 200 Registry if she is a REAL Sprint 200.

Thanks.

Tony K.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Whoa, That car that you picked up looks like a REAL 1966 "Sprint 200". I want the numbers and some pics of the car before you cut her up!...

gt350sr, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] ..... Thanks. ...So I can get her in the Sprint 200 Registry if she is a REAL Sprint 200.

Thanks.

Tony K.
I didn't know there was a Sprint 200 Registry.
I just met a fellow about 20 miles from my home that I see from time to time that is (sort of) working on his wife's first car...she is the original owner of a 1966 Sprint 200 Mustang, still has the original 200 with chrome valve cover and air cleaner, C4 automatic, full console, and it still has its original Silver Blue exterior with a dark blue C Stripe and its original standard blue interior. It's kinda rough, especially on the outside. I maaaaayy be able to get the car one day...

·
Dimples
3,516 Posts
Cool that it’s a potential Sprint.

I agree with the vintage Trans Am look, except I wouldn’t sweat the period correct details too much.

If that car were sitting in my shop, here’s what I would do with the look and feel:
- Leave the paint alone, for the most part. I even dig the black tail panel and front valance.
- Shave/delete the following: antenna, bumper guards, reverse lights, pony/corral and gas cap.
- move the fuel filler into the trunk with a dish and cover the holes from the gas cap and reverse lights with aluminum plates.
- consider blacking out the tops of the fenders and hood, even with something silly like plasti-dip so the patina isn’t lost forever.
- side exit exhaust.
- install brake cooling scoops in the front valance.
- start thinking now about what Racing number to put on the doors.

This last one is probably just me, but I would chop the fenders/quarters and install generic, black bolt on fender flares. Get some cheap Cragar D window steel wheels (spray painted gold) with a crazy offset that sticks the wheels out to fit the flares.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3428912/

I made the attached image in a video game that has some solid customization options. This is what I would build tomorrow if I could.

Edit: this guy has the right idea...
https://drivetribe.com/p/shadow-dancer-justin-perrins-custom-UbXMSaUzRySYOK70U_o__A?iid=ctiJDAulTjuV3689DErkQQ

Attachments

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
"I didn't know there was a Sprint 200 Registry.
I just met a fellow about 20 miles from my home that I see from time to time that is (sort of) working on his wife's first car...she is the original owner of a 1966 Sprint 200 Mustang, still has the original 200 with chrome valve cover and air cleaner, C4 automatic, full console, and it still has its original Silver Blue exterior with a dark blue C Stripe and its original standard blue interior. It's kinda rough, especially on the outside. I maaaaayy be able to get the car one day... "

Yep, Let get his car's data (off his dataplate) so that I can put it in the Sprint 200 Registry. I maintain all of the Sprint 200 Registry data. It's been around since 1983.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Nice Trans-Am cars, At first, I thought that they were from a Auction as the Mecum and B-J Auctions set up the cars under the tents in the same exact manner. A nice way to get out of the Sun.. :eek:)

Tony K.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts