Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Next barn/shop find (cat's out of the bag Blake!)

11K views 64 replies 21 participants last post by  gt350sr 
#1 ·
I had another 'can't pass it up' deal fall in my lap a couple days ago. This car was at a body shop for and engine and trans rebuild, as well as fuel and brake lines, shocks, and brakes. The work was done, but the bill wasn't paid in full. FF almost 8 years, and I was able to snag the car for the remainder of the bill! Yes- 8 years the car sat in the corner of the shop! 10 hours on the road today and she's home. Beside needing the rear quarters and drop offs, the rear rails are a little soft. Other than that, it's a pretty solid platform for whatever comes next. It's a 6 cyl automatic, but I've got a complete V8 drivetrain from another '66 right down to the dual exhaust that I can slap into it. I told BlakeTX I was toying with the idea of a street legal stock car- stripped interior, leave the exterior 'patina', but solid underpinings. The possibilities are endless, right?!? lol

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
Whoa, That car that you picked up looks like a REAL 1966 "Sprint 200". I want the numbers and some pics of the car before you cut her up!...

gt350sr, shoot me an e-mail at NEFaurora@aol.com ..... Thanks. ...So I can get her in the Sprint 200 Registry if she is a REAL Sprint 200.

Thanks.

Tony K.

#15 ·
I didn't know there was a Sprint 200 Registry.
I just met a fellow about 20 miles from my home that I see from time to time that is (sort of) working on his wife's first car...she is the original owner of a 1966 Sprint 200 Mustang, still has the original 200 with chrome valve cover and air cleaner, C4 automatic, full console, and it still has its original Silver Blue exterior with a dark blue C Stripe and its original standard blue interior. It's kinda rough, especially on the outside. I maaaaayy be able to get the car one day...

#13 ·
First thing I thought too, Tony. Looks like a good prospect.

#18 · (Edited)
Cool that it’s a potential Sprint.

I agree with the vintage Trans Am look, except I wouldn’t sweat the period correct details too much.

If that car were sitting in my shop, here’s what I would do with the look and feel:
- Leave the paint alone, for the most part. I even dig the black tail panel and front valance.
- Shave/delete the following: antenna, bumper guards, reverse lights, pony/corral and gas cap.
- move the fuel filler into the trunk with a dish and cover the holes from the gas cap and reverse lights with aluminum plates.
- consider blacking out the tops of the fenders and hood, even with something silly like plasti-dip so the patina isn’t lost forever.
- side exit exhaust.
- install brake cooling scoops in the front valance.
- start thinking now about what Racing number to put on the doors.

This last one is probably just me, but I would chop the fenders/quarters and install generic, black bolt on fender flares. Get some cheap Cragar D window steel wheels (spray painted gold) with a crazy offset that sticks the wheels out to fit the flares.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3428912/

I made the attached image in a video game that has some solid customization options. This is what I would build tomorrow if I could.

Edit: this guy has the right idea...
https://drivetribe.com/p/shadow-dan...SaUzRySYOK70U_o__A?iid=ctiJDAulTjuV3689DErkQQ

Attachments

#22 ·
Cool that it’s a potential Sprint.

I agree with the vintage Trans Am look, except I wouldn’t sweat the period correct details too much.

If that car were sitting in my shop, here’s what I would do with the look and feel:
- Leave the paint alone, for the most part. I even dig the black tail panel and front valance.
- Shave/delete the following: antenna, bumper guards, reverse lights, pony/corral and gas cap.
- move the fuel filler into the trunk with a dish and cover the holes from the gas cap and reverse lights with aluminum plates.
- consider blacking out the tops of the fenders and hood, even with something silly like plasti-dip so the patina isn’t lost forever.
- side exit exhaust.
- install brake cooling scoops in the front valance.
- start thinking now about what Racing number to put on the doors.

This last one is probably just me, but I would chop the fenders/quarters and install generic, black bolt on fender flares. Get some cheap Cragar D window steel wheels (spray painted gold) with a crazy offset that sticks the wheels out to fit the flares.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3428912/

I made the attached image in a video game that has some solid customization options. This is what I would build tomorrow if I could.

Edit: this guy has the right idea...
https://drivetribe.com/p/shadow-dan...SaUzRySYOK70U_o__A?iid=ctiJDAulTjuV3689DErkQQ
Something like these might work- I snagged them out of a wheel pile at my buddy's junkyard last year.....

Attachments

#19 ·
"I didn't know there was a Sprint 200 Registry.
I just met a fellow about 20 miles from my home that I see from time to time that is (sort of) working on his wife's first car...she is the original owner of a 1966 Sprint 200 Mustang, still has the original 200 with chrome valve cover and air cleaner, C4 automatic, full console, and it still has its original Silver Blue exterior with a dark blue C Stripe and its original standard blue interior. It's kinda rough, especially on the outside. I maaaaayy be able to get the car one day... "

Yep, Let get his car's data (off his dataplate) so that I can put it in the Sprint 200 Registry. I maintain all of the Sprint 200 Registry data. It's been around since 1983.

:eek:)

Tony K.

Reactions: myfirstcar66
#21 ·
Yep, Let get his car's data (off his dataplate) so that I can put it in the Sprint 200 Registry. I maintain all of the Sprint 200 Registry data. It's been around since 1983.

:eek:)

Tony K.
I'm sure I can make that happen !

#20 ·
Nice Trans-Am cars, At first, I thought that they were from a Auction as the Mecum and B-J Auctions set up the cars under the tents in the same exact manner. A nice way to get out of the Sun.. :eek:)

Tony K.

#29 ·
Well- she went under the knife today!! lol! The rear axle and leafs are out, and she's on her way to 2 more cylinders. I scrounged and found almost everything I needed down in the barn- old school sweaty ET wheels , a 9" rear, leaf springs, driveshaft, 5 bolt spindles and drums, springs, a built C4 trans, a 289 engine that's 30 over (and runs great), a brake pedal to get rid of the clutch pedal setup, correct for v8 gas pedal assembly, trans crossmember and V8 engine mounts, dual exhaust with tri-Y headers, a complete power steering setup with the drag link, tie rod ends, idler, pitman, power steering pump and brackets- even hoses, automagic shift lever and linkage. All for the low cost of free 99! All used parts, so the 'patina' should remain intact!! lol!

I'll add pics later- in the interim, can anyone tell me how to find a list of my old threads? It used to be accessible through my profile and also included all my posts. I can't seem to find any without searching??

#34 ·
I scored these tires today for the project- BFG tires with near new tread and came on '72 Mustang stock wheels. I kinda like them, but decisions, decisions, right?.....I had these other sets of wheels in the barn... maybe repaint them a different color, or leave the 'patina'....

#39 ·
Some progress... V8 axle, springs, and new shocks in the front and rear, new brakes, wheel cyls, all new lines, hoses, fuel line, V8 spindles, and steering. Found out the V8 pitman is different than the 6.. fortunately found one on the shelf. started degreasing the engine I picked to use and found a 'reman by Ford' tag on it. Cracked it open and it looks near new inside, so must not have many miles on it. I'm going to use the Edelbrock med rise intake and chrome valve covers I dug up and keep the Shelby intake for something else. C4 trans was recently rebuilt as well, so just scrubbed it up and will use as is. I put the '72 Ralley wheels on for now, may swap out the one of the others later...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.