Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over time, I have done several upgrades for my '66FB. I just installed a new Export Brace and Monte Carlo bar. Years Back, a one inch front sway bar. What was also on my "To Do" list was a Rear Swaybar. The car will not see a track, but only cruz'n and street use. Is the rear swaybar worth the effort, time and investment?

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Its all a matter of driver preference and overall setup.
With a more drag race oriented suspension I found a rear sway bar help out.

Since seeing the light and moving toward an auto-x setup, I have removed the rear sway bar.
Car is much too loose with it installed. Just my experience and your results may vary :winkgrin:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Two different things I’ve noticed.

First experience, I added a rear sway bar to a ‘70 sportsroofed Mustang I had years ago. It wasn’t a factory rear sway bar set up and bolted on differently. I never really could tell the difference between having the rear bar or not other than bragging rights. :(

Second experience, my present ‘70 Mach came with a factory 1/2” bar. It was in sad shape so I decide to replace it with a 7/8” rear bar since I had already upgraded the front to a 1 ¼ bar. The vendor sent me a non-factory set up instead of a factory rear bar. I drove it for about two weeks without a rear bar until I could get the correct one installed. I was surprised how much the smaller bar did for handling in those two weeks I drove the car without one. The car went down the road the same but on on/off ramps the rear was looser at “fun” speeds. Once I added the larger rear bar I was very pleased in how it brought it back in line again.

If I was going to add one to a car without the factory setup I would look for the factory type hardware to install it if it was available from the factory. Just my experiences. :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
We have a 3/4" rear bar installed on our '66 and for daily driving it helped. We also have the transport bar, a monte carlo bar, a larger front sway bar, 5 leaf rear springs and KYB shocks on the vehicle. When the car comes back from the bodywork, it will also have the weld-in subframe connectors and torque boxes installed, so I don't know what the swaybar will do at that point. I've heard other road racers say similar things as 2bav8 did about the rear swaybar, so you might want to consider what you're using the car for. We're going to experiment with ours after we get it back on the road to see what works the best for us.

·
Registered
141 Posts
My research indicated that a rear sway does more harm than good on an everyday driver. It induces a handling trait called "Snap oversteer" which you do not want on any street car.

Go through the archives here. There has been plenty written about this subject.

My advice- Don't do it!

Tad

·
Registered
192 Posts
I open track my car and the rear sway bar made it loose, not good when your in a turn at speed and are a novice driver. I removed the bar and am very happy with the feel of the car without one. On the street you probably won't push the car hard enough to get into that situation, at least I hope not.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The only reason to add a rear bar is if the car understeers too much. If you want to spend your money on "bling", go date a supermodel :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
How much the rear swaybar affects the handling is controlled by many factors. Tires, wheels, shock and spring selection, body style and frame stiffening, etc. IMHO, the best thing to do is find a safe place to play and try your vehicle out with one, and without one. In our case, the car became more predictable at it's handling limits with it installed. Now, when the car comes back with the frame stiffeners, torque boxes and new wheels/tires, it most likely will handle completely differently, so I'll go out and find out what works the best.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
I have one and like what it did for the car. *But* mine is a convertible (inherently less stiff through the frame), and has wimpy tires. So my car suffered from "plowing" through corners. It works much better now.

However, I also have a monte carlo bar, export brace, roller spring perches and adjustable heim jonted strut rods. So it is hard to figure out just what the rear bar is adding compared with everything else.

After I get sub frame connectors I may try running the car without it and then with it as a comparison before I decide on whether to permanently keep it on the car.

John Harvey

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Dedicated open track car- no rear bar. A fun street driver- yes. IMO.

I like the balanced feel the rear bar gives my 66 in turns, however i can see how when pushing the limits it would cause the car to get loose b/c well, it has happened to me lol. But that's why I put the locker in the 66 and now it sticks real nice.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, thank you for all your input, I appreciate it very much. I do not think that I would go out and just order one of these things, but flebay had one cheap. So, I will give it a whirl and install it. I would also like to do the Shelby drop and roller perch thing that opentracker offers. Not like I can drive this thing till spring anyway! ::

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I ran 7/8"front--7/8"rear Addco bars on my 69 coupe in the 70s, and now have these same bars (scavenged from the rusted hulk) on my vert. With Konis, Shelby drop, and slightly stiffer springs, they work just dandy for street and Solo2 use. However, I might be a bit hesitant to try this in an open track environment--what works well at 40-50 mph around the cones might be a little loosey-goosey tickling through a sweeper at a three-digit speed.

·
Registered
408 Posts
WEEEEEEEEEE......OOPS>>>BOOM :jawdrop:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts