Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Begin vent:
I hate NJ MVS. I went to a different inspection station (Randolph, NJ) this year. I cannot believe that my '66 coupe can pass emissions five times in the past including after the "enhanced" inspection system and fail this year because they claim that my exhaust is "blocked" and that they couldn't do an inspection. I've had the same GT exhaust trumpets on the car since I bought it. I even showed them an old inspection report with the emissions readings. Darn inpsection line was over hour an hour long this morning and they spent a half an hour messing the the equipment, looking under the car, and calling all the other inspectors over. I hate NJ MVS.
End vent.

All the other people waiting in the waiting area were getting angry at the inspectors but the car became a conversation piece. I got into a discussion on how to identify a '66 versus a '65 and several people were amazed that a car "that old" looked and sounded so good.

My question now is has anyone had this problem? In my eyes, the two solutions are take my car to a private inspector have him remove the trumpets, do the emssions test, and reinstall the trumpets or replace the trumpets with open chrome tips. Anyone have some pics of open chrome tips going through the GT valance?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Just replace the tips temporarily and make an appointment at the Ridgewood, NJ inpspection station. Besides
getting a appointment, they had the best pass rate in the state.

If it isn't a daily driver, why not get a collector car voucher and skip the emission & safety check. You keep
regular plates and can drive up to 6,000 within a two year period. That's what I use. I used to be able
to get my car thru inspection without a problem for about 15 years. I think went they update the inspection
stations, the emmissions sniffer's just got better.

Good Luck,

Bob.

·
Beach Bum
5,694 Posts
I HATED the NJ DMV, I am sooooo glad I live in NY state now. we will see if they are any better when I register my cars up here next year. :: I used to hate going to the Randolph ststion when I worked just down the street at Jim Salerno Pontiac, it would take my whole lunch hour to get thru the line. ::

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've toyed with the collector car idea many times...Today as a matter of fact. However, for now, the vision of my car is to keep it "daily driver" ready and looking like it's "well loved" but not abused or neglected. I don't see a fully restored car (at least in the short term) which I'm afraid to park in a parking lot. I still have the dings from the bozos at work smacking my doors with their doors.

The northern NJ stations are much better than the central NJ stations. I remember that the line in Lawrenceville off of Route 1 used to be 2 hours minimum. The station in Montclair (appointment only now) was great. Usually no lines.

Ah, the good old days of living in NE Tennessee...no inspections. Acutally, there were a lot of dangerous cars on the road but not where near the traffic volume. When I had little money, I pushed the old '72 Dodge Dart a little longer than I should have.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I failed last week in Eatontown for wiper blades and my emissions were off. I told the guy, "The car doesn't go out in the rain." He didn't seem to quite understand that concept, oh well, maybe I will go next week to get that "rejected" sticker off my car.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I can relate. Back in my distant past, I had a (forgive me) Dodge Challenger, 340, 4 spd, etc. I waited for two hours in the lline at the Lawrenceville station, passed all the way through, last stop was the headlight check. Low beams, OK. High beams, OK. Wait, one of your bulbs just burned out. Fail. Start all over again, or pay a service station for the sticker. All for a bulb that worked when tested.
I'm now in Pennsylvania, its all at the service stations, so there is no "free" test option. I'm not sure whether I'm better or worse off.

Carl

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I don't understand why your states haven't figured out what Florida figured out a long time ago, It cost to much to run these stations and the return on the saftey was marginal at best. They have a good system now. They let the Hwy Patrol write tickets for improper equipment. Then you have 10 days to get it fixed and go to the nearest police station and have them certify it fixed. a small hassle if you get caught like I did with a headlight out. Total cost was $7.00 (seven).

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I think the problem is they are concerned that the machine will not draw in just the exhaust for the test, since the probe will be outside the pipe the sample will be diluted.

Just for kicks see if you can find an exhaust tip extension at your local parts store that will fit tightly over the extension. A tip that fits may convince the inspection station to retry the test without modification or removal of the baffled tip.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I honestly think that NJ is one of the states that wants the so-called "clunkers" off the road. The insentives for purchasing a new vehicle, at least inspection-wise, are good. I bought a 2004 Acura RSX-TypeS which doesn't have to go to inspection until 2008! Anyone who has sat through the long inspection lines and then failed can easily see the benefit.

I know. I know. A japanese car. What I really wanted was a 2005 Mustang GT but my wife said that I already had a Mustang and didn't need another one. I didn't think that it was possible to have too many Mustangs ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts