Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a couple days ago about NJ inspection and my frustration with the inspection system. With some encouragement from respondents to my post, I decided to look deeper into the collector car registration option.

I called the DMV about information concerning historic and collector car registrations. After navigating through the maze of touch tone menus, I finally spoke to an unfriendly woman who told me that my '66 cannot be registered as a collector car because collector cars must be 25 years old or newer (??) and that my only option besides regular registration was historic registration.

So one question that I have is this information true or false? I've been given false information in the past. If it is true, do those of you with historic (QQ) plates have problems with the police when driving your cars? I see people driving their cars with historic plates to work fairly regularly during the summer.

Is there a precise defintion of what "for educational purposes" or "for exhibition purposes" means or is it loosely interpreted?

·
Registered
496 Posts
Can't answer for Jersey, but I've got Historic plates on my car in NY and have never had a question about it. Mine are even the vintage of the car, so they don't look anything like the current plates, but still no problem.

I used to get stopped with my Cobra, but that was to look at the car, not the plates.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I decided to look deeper into the collector car registration option.

I called the DMV about information concerning historic and collector car registrations. After navigating through the maze of touch tone menus, I finally spoke to an unfriendly woman who told me that my '66 cannot be registered as a collector car because collector cars must be 25 years old or newer (??) and that my only option besides regular registration was historic registration.

So one question that I have is this information true or false? I've been given false information in the past.
Feel free to come up to Wyckoff, NJ and look at the Collector Car sticker on my windshield. My car is registered
properly as a 1966 Mustang, so it's been older than 25 for quite a while. The Collector Car program is not
widely known, so the probability of having a DMV call center answer wrongly is high. A friend of mine also has his
67 Mini Cooper with Collector Car sticker. My advice, go to your local DMV office with $25 (that's what it cost
a year ago) and ask for a "Collector Car Voucher".
Bob.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I live in NJ with QQ's and a 66. Your best bet to get it all done in ONE day, is to go down to Trenton DMV, where these people are at least helpful and don't have an attitude. Depending on the insurance company you are not suppose to drive more than 2500 miles per year, do errands in it or drive it to work on a daily basis. I drive mine for pleasure when I can, and have only got smiles and thumbs up from Police. You are not the ones they are trying to give tickets to since you have drum brakes, and a 289 that barely puts out 160hp. For education purposes, they really want you to drive your car in a parade or to work at some automobile school where you explain the innards of your car to students. If you drive your car daily all over the place, some cop that you see all the time might give you a hard time depending on his personality. Bottom line, be smart not stupid

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Per the DMV website: http://www.dmv.org/nj-new-jersey/dmv-vehicle-registration.php

Collector Vehicles

For a vehicle to be designated as a "collector vehicle," the owner must apply* at the time of registration or renewal for this designation and must provide evidence that the vehicle

is not registered as a "historic vehicle," under N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.3 et seq., or a "street rod," under N.J.S.A. 39:3-27.27,
is not driven more than 3,000 miles per year,
is insured as a limited use "collector vehicle." (Proof must be supplied at time of odometer verification.)
For inspection-exempt status, the vehicle must be taken to a state inspection station for odometer and insurance verification.

Visit the exit end of the inspection station.
Ask the inspector to verify the odometer reading of the "collector vehicle"; MVC may require that the vehicle be equipped with an odometer lock.
Pay fee ($25 and $10 per renewal) for the special decal which indicates that the vehicle is exempt from safety and emission inspection.
*Call MVC at 609.292.6500 or (toll-free in NJ) 888.486.3339 for an application. Submit the completed application to any MVC agency or by mail to

Motor Vehicle Commission
Collector Vehicle
P.O. Box 016
Trenton, NJ 08666-0016

There's no mention of being "25 years old or younger." You should be able to get the application right at you local DMV office (you have to ask, they don't leave them out). They're just like most of the rest of
the DMV forms, a white 3 1/2" by 8" card.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Dinosawnj. The number that I called was the "888" number from that page. I think that making the trip to the DMV office (Wayne can be on my way home)is probably the most straight forward approach (hopefully least painful). My last visit there to get a photo driver's license was remarkably quick and painless.

I looked back at my mileage/gas log book, and I haven't driven my car much over a 800 miles in any one year since 1998. I used to commute to work (except winter of course) when I lived only 4 miles away from work. After I moved 20 mi away, I decided that the 4 wheel drum brakes on the Parkway just didn't cut it. Four wheel disc brakes (anti-lock preferred) is the safest way to go on that road.

Having thought about it for a couple days, making the change to collector car makes sense to me since I still like to drive my car on weekends, run errands, etc.. I can save significantly on insurance by switching to collector car insurance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, I just bought a 67 fastback and I was wondering if anyone know how old you have to be to drive a car that is registered as a collector or historic? I am only 20 right now so i'm pretty sure i'm not old enough yet but i was wondering how soon i will be. Thank you.

·
Registered
810 Posts
I'll double up on the suggestion to go to Trenton and do it all in person. Take your insurance and pictures (if you're going the historic / QQ way like I did) and you'll be set to go in about 20 minutes. Make sure you get the right address - it's not the big DMV building you can see from Route 1.

Also - to the 20 year old, it's not an issue about how old you are versus how old your car is. You can get insurance, just probably not classic or historic insurance. You will probably have an issue with classic insurance because some classic insurers want drivers who are over 25 years old AND have a regular daily driver in addition to the Mustang.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts