Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have almost completed my break conversion but I cant get the lines bleed.

I installed 4 new wheel cylinders, portioning valve and 76 granada MC w/ original mustang push rod.

I bench bleed the mc, bleed all the lines in the reg order 3 times and still no pedal pressure. I will try to vac. bleed them tomorrow but not used to getting this far with no pedal at all.

Is there something I missed?

I also have a question about loops in the break lines. I had to put some loops in the front lines and they are up/down and I wonder if they have air that is trapped? if so any tricks to bleed them? (i didn't have much of an option for horizontal loops)

Thanks,
James

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm having the same problem with mine. I've bleed them numerous times with no pedal pressure. I'm going to try gravity bleeding and if that doesn't work, I'll have to shell out the cash for a vacuum bleeder to see if that will work. I've been getting my wife to pump the pedal and she holds the pedal down while I open the bleeder screw for a second to release fluid. What method do you use ??

·
Registered
3,482 Posts
I've found the Mustang rod wasn't long enoungh for the Granada M/C, which has a longer stroke than the original Mustang unit. You can try to extend the length of your rod or pickup a longer unit from one of the brake part vendors.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There is a post here from someone that is having the same problem and even vac. bleeding has not fixed it. So here are some thoughts I have.

1. proper wheel adjustment. I have not adjusted out the breaks yet and they could simply be too much room between the shoe and the drum to get good pedal.

adjust the breaks (duh)

2. IF I have air in the loops I doubt the vac will get them out (at least mine) because it will not move the fluid fast enough to beat the air racing back to the top of the loop

Now this one is a little harder as I have to get enough fluid movement to get the air over half way around the loop or it will just go back to the top.

My IDEA, crack open the bleeder and place a air hose next to it. The air will siphon the line in short order and move tons of fluid in a continuos fashion. Just have to be sure to not run the MC dry or I have t start all over. :p

James

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
still no luck!

I was able to get a little pedal and if I pump them I can get good pedal. But this is not what I would call an improvement.

I am getting pressure at all wheels and it does engage the breaks enough that you can't move them by hand.

I am starting to wonder about the rod/MC. How does it go?
is it mustang rod with all MC?
mustang rod with power MC and granada with manual?
dont use a manual MC at all?
cant do this with drum/drum?
I just cant bleed breaks?

James

1 - 5 of 5 Posts