Vintage Mustang Forums banner

No door tag now what?

4K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  bryancobb 
#1 ·
My project has no door tag to indicate the original options. I was really wanting to go back as much original as possible. Is there any other way to know what options it had? I'm mainly interested in the original color. It has blue interior. The door jams seems to be more a sky blue than the dark blue it is now. The inside doors also look to be a light blue but dark blue door panels. What do you think?

See less See more
#2 ·
If it's younger than 66 you can order a marti report. 66 and older there's no real good way to tell, other than "clues" left in the vehicle (holes for mounting accesories, etc.)

#3 ·
Looks like it's a 65 right? Possibilities for info are build sheet which sometimes is under dash or rear seat cushion and bucking tag which is a roughly 2"x4" metal tag with various characters stamped on it, this tag is attached somewhere in the engine compartment.

#4 ·
That's a 65 dash, but the rest of the interior stuff is 66. The 65 blue interior was one color, not 2-tone. Look under the package tray for the original paint color. The car was painted with the rear window not installed, so that will show the original color.

#5 ·
Also has 65 grill (assuming the avatar is same car) and quarter scoop chrome!

#6 ·
With a handle like "DETECTOR," you should be able to put on your double-bill hat and get your magnifying glass, and get to the bottom of it.

By-the-way, if you are not familiar... the "package tray" is that back shelf where people usually install their rear speakers.

#9 ·
Not to be picky but the VIN indicates a true 65. C code (289 2V) started 0n the 65 model plus the consecutive number is much too high to be a 64 1/2. Or is your avatar a different car from the one we're/you're talking about?

#11 ·
Yup. That's what was said at the beginning! Think he said younger than 66...ie 67

#12 ·
thats a real nice car regardless.

sometimes you can still see the original color under the sill plates, trunk weather stripping, door handles, chrome trim, fender bolts, under the trunk hinges etc

the interior wuold be next to impossible w/o supporting docs but sometimes if the original peices were dyed you can see under spray on some of the pastic parts and trim peices. so once you take them off look carefully.

#14 ·
You should be able to find the original color by removing the rear seat back. Many times when a car is repainted they don't go into that much detail to paint the hidden parts of the interior. My wife's 65 conv was originally Vintage Burgundy. A PO painted it Rangoon Red. There is no door tag. I found the original color after removing the back seat and window well. When it was originally repainted apparently the convertible top wasn't removed and the back of the inner wheel wells weren't repainted. I could see clear as day the metallic Vintage burgundy. My wife wants the car to be blue. Since I'm going to completely strip this car the entire car will be blue and I'll order a new door tag with the new paint code, and interior. She's getting a bench seat with pony interior if Pony interior was available for a 65 with a bench seat.

#18 ·
I'm more concerned right now with the external color. The interior looks to have been blue from all I can find so I'm happy with that. The external color is proving to be a bit harder to pin down. I know the doors are off a white car I don't know that they are the original doors. I can clearly see where the blue has come off the door jams showing white. Does white outside and blue inside sound possible?

#21 ·
Look up on top of rear speaker shelf, all the way down where it converges at the bottom of the back glass. If your car has not been chemically dipped/stripped or meticulously and completely sandblasted to the bare metal...
... THERE WILL BE TRACES OF OEM BODY COLOR WHERE THE FACTORY PAINTER WAS SPRAYING BODY COLOR AROUND THE BACK GLASS OPENING.

It may only be a small amount of overspray, but it will be there.

Also that array of 9 photos can't be zoomed adequately for me to see the TOP surface of the back shelf. Post a better pic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.