Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was an education for me.

My buddy and I took off from work in the Mustang at about noon. The temperatures ranged from high 80s to mid 100s. It was the first real run I had taken the car on in heat like that. It was also the first run up any real mountains. All went well. The temp gauge got up to around 215, which is livable.

I did not try running the A/C in that kind of heat. I probably should have, just to know what would happen, but I chickened out.

We made the 240 mile run, with a couple of stops for food and drink, in about 5 hours. MPG was just shy of 20. Not too bad, considering the stop-and-go traffic we ran into in multiple locations. I got lots of thumbs-up and conversation while stuck in traffic though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I called MYTOYS when we got to Reno. We still had to have dinner with my buddie's mother, so I made arrangements to meat MYTOYS at around 8:30pm.

I got to the cruising entrance at the Peppermill at just after 8:30pm and noticed that my engine temp was at 210. I also noticed that my fan was not running. Not a good thing. I pulled out of line and went to find a place to park, which is not an easy thing to do in that area.

The fan was turning, but only a few RPM instead of it's normal loud roar. The motor had apparently given up the ghost.

I talked to MYTOYS about strategy. I decided that the safest thing to do would be to drive home that night in the cool darkness. Boy, talk about disappointed... there were SO MANY beautiful cars and I could not stay to oogle them /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

The run home was totally uneventful. We made the trip in about 4 hours. The temp gauge stayed down around 180 as long as we were moving at freeway speeds. The cooling system is very effecient when the air moves. I have not checked my MPG yet, but it looks to be over 20 /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I just love this OD tranny.

I guess HAN will have to wait for me for another year or more...

·
Registered
2,476 Posts
Sorry to hear about your troubles . . . but glad you made it back ok . . .

Does this mean we'll see you tomorrow at the BAMA show (nudge, nudge, wink, wink)????/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rick

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will come out to the show tomorrow. I will not be driving the Mustang tho /forums/images/icons/frown.gif

I ordered a new fan and should have it mid-week.

G

·
0 Posts
Doh! How many hours do you think you got out of that fan?

Really makes me question my move to the electric, but dammit I'm not giving up yet!

Glad to hear you & your car made it home in one piece though. I'll be showing at BAMA, so I hope I'll see you there.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think we should condemn the entire electric fan industry because of one failure /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I questioned this fan from day one. It sounded to me like it had bearing problems because what I was hearing was bearing whine, not fan noise. I called the guys that put it in for me and they said it was just a loud fan. I have since spoken with other SPAL dealers and they tell me that one of the reasons they like the SPAL is that it is typically quieter than the competition.

I suspect that I got about 100 hours from this fan. Maybe more, but certainly not anywhere near the normal MTBF. So... I am hoping the the replacement will be significantly quieter, which will make me a very happy camper.

I will be at the show tomorrow. Probably shortly after noon.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Kent,

We missed you at the breakfast, cruise and BBQ. It was pretty good little trip, not too many difficulties besides some dead alternators, batteries and some close overheating. Nooo tickets thank god! We ended up with Six cars, My FB, ActionJacksons vert, Johnpro's coupe, MYTOYS Boss, AARONS boss and Whispers Tbird. Those Bosses sure looked good in the rearview, but I am sure if they wanted to be out front I couldn't have stopped em!

Well I am pooped and going to take a nap! It's hot out there!

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

It's hot out there!

<hr></blockquote>That's a mild understatement if I ever heard one.

I thought I was melting on the way up. I bought a bottle of cold water to drink in the car and within 45 minutes it was hot water /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
807 Posts
-Kent-
You wanna ride up to BAMA with me then?
Meybe a sooner wake up call than you need but the offer is there...
Give me a call anytime before tomorrow morn if you want to hitch a ride.
I don't plan on staying too, too late either.
Just take 1st, and go (Stan /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif)

·
Administrator
12,995 Posts
Eric, shall I get the trophy dusted off for you? Talk to you tomorrow.
Stan

1 - 9 of 9 Posts