Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I had the car up on jackstands, I figured I'd give rolling the fenders a shot....I scored the paint, put some tape over the top to protect it, and tried working it with an aluminum little league bat and my homemade towel-over-a-brick body dolly.....All to no result.

I must be a weakling. Then again it was in the mid 90s and I was sweating like a pig and lightheaded, but still.

I suspect that tires are rubbing most when I've turned into my driveway, so I'll do that with caution in the future.

I just could not bring myself to bring out the pliers - that seemed like certain death to the paint. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Dickson

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
3,856 Posts
Not sure what to tell you, I used a 3lb hammer and the towel/brick method, I laid my lips almost back against the inside of the outer flare. Maybe the missus could come and hold the brick/towel against and area while you work at it, its pretty awkward single handed. Also, most that use the bat, do so by prying against the lip, using the tire as a fulcrum.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I rolled mine because I thought the tires would rub and it turns out they are not even close. Anyway, I used a small cressent wrench to do most of the work and finshised it off with a hammer and wood block. A only got the lips rolled back about 45 degrees. The paint on the lips was all chipped off but the outer paint was fine. I think it would be a large battle to roll the lips flat against the fender.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
I met a guy at the Washington Pony Trails who used a 2-3' piece of 2x4 that he put over the tire angled upward into the wheel well (at the back of the well), then he slowly backed up while someone held the board in place and allowed the tire to do the work for him. They seemed to have turned out really good.

·
Registered
655 Posts
My body man used a similar proceedure with a length of 2''pipe.Back & forth, with the pipe rolling on the tyre you can regulate the pressure used with leverage against the tyre.
My concern was the new paint cracking but after several rolls it turned out fine.Watching those guards flex get's the heart-rate pumping!Gently does it!
Greg

·
Registered
419 Posts
A place called Chicane Motorsports makes a tool just for this. I used a small cresent wrench and body hammer/block. No chipped paint and and plenty of room.

G

·
0 Posts
You're not a weakling, but probably being too cautious. To roll those lips all the way up, believe me, takes some serious pounding, with a heavy hammer. I did mine on my Shelby many years ago, when I was young enough to do all 4 in one day, and not worry about what the neighbors thought about all the noise. I seem to remember it taking all day to get them done.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Don't get discouraged. I tried it with a bat and found that the bat wouldn't fit between my wheels and fender so I went out and bought 2" piece of pipe. Then I found that there was too much "give" in my tires (even airing up the pressure) and the pipe just bit into the tire instead of bending the fender lip. Sooo.. I just ended up smashing the fenderlip with the pipe. I took me quite a while and I only did the rear. Needless to say, a deadblow hammer would have been much more comfortable. I couldn't even lift my arm or grip a pen the next day from all the shock I took. You really can't be gentle with it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts