Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Moderatly Old Fart
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got it timed perfectly. It was still hard to start but we got it running. New wires, cap and rotors sure helped. The longer we ran the car the better it seemed to run. The carb may have gone bad from just sitting for three months. It idles now but..... It still runs warmer than it did with the stock cam. It does not seem significantly faster but it seems strong up to the shift point where it fell on its face before.

On the down side it seems to have less bottom end which may be carb related and the idle moves around which may be a vacuum leak. The carb will need to be rebuilt as adjusting the idle screws did nothing. To continue on the down side the alternator gauge does not work. Is the alternator toast? There is a bad shimmy which may be because the future son in law may not have put the new u-joint in the yoke properly.

Now the worst part. I had my daughters go out to the car with me this morning. One was going to help me with the timing light. (What does this thing do? It helps time the engine. How? With light. What? Never mind.) The other daughter held the fire extinguisher.

It started right up if you disregard the flames. Then a daughter panicked and sprayed the engine with the fire extinguisher. It put the fire out alright. (She was going to make certain it never started on fire ever again). The entire engine compartment was white.

It washed and wiped off of everything. Except the nice single stage urethane paint job on the engine. :(

It is now discolored and the engine will need to be repainted. So we are close. But.....

I need a new hobby. ::

·
4,128 Posts
Now the worst part. I had my daughters go out to the car with me this morning. One was going to help me with the timing light. (What does this thing do? It helps time the engine. How? With light. What? Never mind.) The other daughter held the fire extinguisher.

It started right up if you disregard the flames. Then a daughter panicked and sprayed the engine with the fire extinguisher. It put the fire out alright. (She was going to make certain it never started on fire ever again). The entire engine compartment was white.

It washed and wiped off of everything. Except the nice single stage urethane paint job on the engine. :(

It is now discolored and the engine will need to be repainted. So we are close. But.....
Do I smell a doofus award nomination in there somewhere? Letting a trigger happy daughter armed with a fire extinguisher spray the engine compartment. :p
Oh well at least it is running. :) fd

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Classic! At least she was paying attention. I would say its probably dad's fault for not giving more specific instructions.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Sorry to hear about the engine dusting. Maybe the "powder coating" effect will grow on you. :)
We got it timed perfectly.
Not quite sure what that means. Does that mean you verified TDC on the timing marks? Did you set it at 8*BTDC, 10*BTDC, 12*BTC???
It still runs warmer than it did with the stock cam. It does not seem significantly faster but it seems strong up to the shift point where it fell on its face before.
Not sure what cam you put in it, but I wouldn't expect it to help on the bottom end. The cam is a trade-off of less low end for better high end.
On the down side it seems to have less bottom end which may be carb related and the idle moves around which may be a vacuum leak. The carb will need to be rebuilt as adjusting the idle screws did nothing.
I'd fix the vac leak before tearing into the carb. That might fix the symptoms you attribute to carb problems.
To continue on the down side the alternator gauge does not work. Is the alternator toast?
Easy enough to check out with your voltmeter by checking volts across the battery terminals while running. Should be 13.5v+. If it's 12-12.5v, your alternator, or regulator, are not functioning properly.
There is a bad shimmy which may be because the future son in law may not have put the new u-joint in the yoke properly.
Easy enough to check out visually, but if that were the case, I'd think it would come unglued in a hurry.

Keep us posted on how you progress.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts