Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting no power to my right rear brake lamp. It is #5 wire on the schematic (orange/Bl. stripe). Following the diagram, the wire goes to assembly 14405. Does anyone know what or where that is located? It appears to be a junction block somewhere. Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
The rear wiring harness runs along the left side of the car in a channel under the door sill then up to the left side of the dash above the door open switch. You should find a couple connectors there. You'll probably have to remove the left side kick panel to see them.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have traced it to the turn signal switch. There is a 2 wire connector there and I have no power to the orange/blue wire coming from the turn signal switch. This is a new switch that I installed a month ago. I checked everything but the brake lamps after I installed it so, the right rear brake has probably not worked since then. Bad turn signal switch?

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Be sure to check the connection of that particular wire at the square plug that comes from the steering column. The pin inside that plug may have backed out or never seated when you connected the wiring.

·
Registered
37,717 Posts
Check the "cat whiskers" on the turn signal switch as one may be bent....

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
No power to the RR brake lamp ? That means; no power to the running light, turn signal or brake light ? You have put your test probe into the fixture and no power. I ask because the 1157 bulb is a dual filament and sometimes can be misleading.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No power to the RR brake lamp ? That means; no power to the running light, turn signal or brake light ? You have put your test probe into the fixture and no power. I ask because the 1157 bulb is a dual filament and sometimes can be misleading.

I should have stated that the RR blinker and tail light were working fine.
So, After tracing #5 to the turn signal switch and checking voltage, somehow, the brake light is working again. Maybe a loose connection at the 2 wire connector coming off of the turn signal switch that feeds each brake light. When I initially checked voltage at that plug, I only had it going to the LR brake light. Tugging on the harness did something so now, I just have to wait until it stops working again I guess.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts