Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I went out to start the car (‘66 coup - 289) and it started up and then died. I then noticed that the interior lights, headlights, radio, etc... weren’t working either. I had recently had transmission rebuilt and everything was working fine. I wanted to make sure there was power coming from the battery so I jumped the solenoid and the motor cranked but no ignition. I checked the body ground and just to be safe ran another ground from battery to the body. Still no power. :(
I’m not good at electrical issues so any ideas would be helpful.
Tim

·
Premium Member
3,365 Posts
Bad ignition switch or solenoid switch.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
51 Posts
Check that you are getting power to your main harness plug that goes in by the master cylinder. That would maybe tell you if its in the engine compartment or under the dash. The wire you want to make sure has 12v is the 2nd or 3rd? from the bottom passenger side of the plug. Its a black/yellow wire

·
Registered
35,117 Posts
Remove and thoroughly clean the battery terminal ends and posts until both are shiny silver. Remove and clean the positive connections at the solenoid (a stiff brass brush or even sandpaper will work) as well as the negative (ground) cable where it bolts to the engine.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Check that you are getting power to your main harness plug that goes in by the master cylinder. That would maybe tell you if its in the engine compartment or under the dash. The wire you want to make sure has 12v is the 2nd or 3rd? from the bottom passenger side of the plug. Its a black/yellow wire
^^^ this.
You can clean the female part of the plug with a bit of wiring with the end stripped of insulation in the chuck of a drill.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try each and check back with any new developments.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Turn on the ignition switch and check for power to the + side of the coil. If you're not getting power to the ignition switch, you won't get power to the coil. Also, when you check your fuses, check the heavy wire going into the fuse block (it brings power right from the battery).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So... I checked the main disconnect at the firewall by the master cylinder. The two female connections on the engine compartment side (red wire and yellow wire) had power. No power to any fuses inside the car.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT Fastback 289 4BBL
51 Posts
Does this power go straight to the fuse box from here?
Thanks again
Tim
That looks like the gauge harness disconnect,the red wire to that harness comes directly from the battery and the yellow wire should be going to the heater blower motor. The disconnect that you should check next is located on the other side of the master cylinder. I circled it in the picture(i just grabbed that off the internet, so not my car). You are still gong to be looking for the Black/Yellow wire to see if that has power.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The Black/Yellow wire goes directly in to the fuse block from that plug from what I can tell on the wire diagram.
Thanks Corfel, I really appreciate the assist. I’m really not good at wiring. I’ll keep you posted.
thanks again
Tim

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Black/Yellow wire goes directly in to the fuse block from that plug from what I can tell on the wire diagram.
Hey Corfel, here’s the update: I found the connection you were referring to as well as the black and yellow wire (it was a little difficult as the previous owner took black spray paint after the engine compartment) anyway, there was no power there. So I’m thinking this is the harness that runs under the radiator? I’ll pull the radiator this weekend and check it out...
Corfel, thanks for taking the time to help me.
Tim

1 - 20 of 29 Posts