Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted a few days ago about my son's C4 not having any reverse, but still has all forward gears. I got 3 votes for the servo and one for the low-reverse band. I'm hoping on the servo.

Now the question ... when everyone says it's probably the servo, would this be referring to the low-reverse servo that bolts onto the side of the case? If so, when I pull it out, it appears I can pull it out without even dropping the pan. Is that correct? What am I looking for when I pull it out and where's the best place to buy any replacement parts.

There appears to also be (in looking at my transmision book) a reverse servo in the valve body. What I can't tell is if this is just for the C3, or if the C4 and C5 also have that servo.

This is a 1970 C4 in his '65 coupe, with about 25k miles on a rebuild. This is why I hate paying people to do automotive stuff. This is the second problem we've had with this "rebuilt" (read: repainted with expensive paint) transmission.

TIA

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Lo-Reverse servo is on the driver side of the tranny, has a steel cover held on by 4 bolts. Chances are 10/1 that when you remove the servo piston, the band anchor will fall to the bottom of the case.

Not a terribly hard job to remove the pan, drop the valve body, then you can hold the lo-reverse anchor in place while you replace the lo-reverse servo piston.

I buy all my automatic parts from Transtar 800-321-8830
reverse servo piston is part #26528A

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
Concur with Art...

You can air-test the servo after removing the valve body; look for the ports at the rear of the valve body surface on the drivers side. If my brain isn't too fuzzy this morning, one should be extend and the other retract. Or maybe just one for extend and a spring retracts; Or....*G*
I can verify this on a shop core if you wish to do the test, or you can experiment *G*

1 - 3 of 3 Posts