Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's '65 with a '70 C4 lost reverse today. He says nothing unusual happened yesterday, and he had reverse yesterday. I have confirmed that he has all forward gears and ZERO reverse. Fluid level is ok, and vacuum lines are ok.

We won't even get a chance to tear into it until at least Monday with HAN tommorrow/Saturday and the BAMA show on Sunday.

Anyone want to venture a guess as what it could be?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just went through the same thing ,John.Pat explains it better than I can in thisthread
The low -reverse servo was the problem on mine.It was a one piece unit & the piston was loose on the stem,probably letting fluid through after the tranny warmed up & dropping pressure on the actuator.When cold I had reverse but after she warmed up,no.
Greg

G

·
Although the sevro is a possibility, the last 2 I repaired were broken reverse bands. Easy fix, long hours to fix.

G

·
I don't know of ant except the ones I've replaced????? I do use a Kevelar intermediate on my performance trannies & a Kevelar rigid intermediate on my race trannies.

·
Registered
10,588 Posts
I do use a Kevelar intermediate on my performance trannies & a Kevelar rigid intermediate on my race trannies.

hehehe....guess I reveal my age when saying I still have an asbestos rigid intermediate band in the race car... I think I still have an extra in the original Ford box in the shop somewhere..

As many C4 problems as I've worked over the past year or so here, I have to say I'm amazed at how many folks have problems with C4's....can't ever recall ever having a problem with one myself, other than when the pump-to-case bolts loosened at the track back in '82, causing an embarassing smoke trail and some teasing from my racing buds..
The D-coder C4 will turn 200K this year and it still shifts well and the fluid looks good (put a shift kit in it at 178K)...I must admit, though, that my friends say I'm way easy on equipment....yeah, that's because I like to have fun, not work on stuff all the time! *G*

What was the question again? *G*

1 - 8 of 8 Posts