Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for the best source of how-to's with regard to installing shocks?

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code, coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Thumbnail?u=1571656&a=11943851&p=42935059&Width=100&Height=100&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
OK Shanman, here ya go. I suppose that this is in line with your shock tower / export brace posts of earlier today. I may forget something, but that is for you to add when you do it!

1. Buy shocks
2. Get the car on jackstands and remove all 4 tires
3. Remove upper shock mounts on the front
4. On each side, lift the suspension a little, so you can access the lower inboard shock bolt (BE CAREFUL, BIG SPRING DON'T CARE ABOUT YOUR FINGERS, ARMS OR ANYTHING ELSE YOU PUT THERE!)
5. Unbolt lower shock mount on front, install new one
6. Install upper shock mount
7. Repeat steps 4-6 for other front side
8. Once all bolted together double check everything
9. Pull rear seat (top and bottom) and divider panel (look for old hot wheel, or some gum!)
10. Support the rear-end with the floor jack, pop the access covers behind the rear seat
11. unbolt upper shock mounts
12. Unbolt lower mount, install new shock
13. Secure top of rear shocks
14. Double check installation
15. Install plugs, hot wheel and rear seat (keep gum)
16. Lower car and take family to dinner!

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Recently did almost exactly what autoxsteve's post said. No problems what so ever. If you export brace is way far off let front stay on jack stands, go to lunch for a couple hours, then try it. I'd start with the back first in case you need to let the front remain on the stands for a while.

1966 Red Conv (200)
1966 White Pony Int.(289)A Code
1966 Coupe (289) C Code
MCA 36048

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Just a little tip, if you are doing this without help and have problems with the rear shocks rotating while your trying to loosen or tighten the nuts you can try what I did.

I have a small club (you know that sucky red thing that goes on the steering wheel), the hooked end just fits around the shock and is rubberized. If you hook the shock, then pull on the club so that it is tight it will hold the shock from rotating while you loosen or tighten the nuts.

Jason
Formerly Bluestangcom
"Got gas?"
Vintage Burgundy'66 Conv. 289 & C4. GT-ized
Strawberry/Silver '91GT
Rust/Red/Turquoise '67 coupe - Parting Out
Guards Red 2000 Porsche Boxster

http://www.bluestang.com

G

·
0 Posts
there's a little tool that will make removing and installing shocks yourself a little easier. i got mine from pep boys. it's made by lisle. it'll hold the threaded shock end so you can tighten the nut without someone holding the shock body.

Rubelle
65 2+2, 289 (early A code), c/r toploader, magna suspension, centerline convo pros

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
I had Midlife up on ramps for the front shocks, and didn't have to diddle at all with the suspension to get my Koni's in. Now the rear was another story. I tried duct-taping the two halves of the shock together as I tightened the uppermost nut. Had to call the SWMBO out to help ("I'm not going to do that!" and walked back into the house). Had to get a neighbor to hold the shock until I could get it started. It's very easy. If you can replace an oil filter, you can do shocks.

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/flamicon.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

1 - 7 of 7 Posts