Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, just like everything else, somthing comes up for no particular reason. Had the car running...... went to start it today...... turns over fine....... wont start. Its getting fuel.... Condensor, points, cap, plug wires, coil are all only about 2 months old. The car will turn over just fine, just wont fire. Whats the deal? Could the silinoid be causeing this? I tried another coil wire...... no go. Plugged the coil wire into the coil, held it to the monte carlo bar, turned the car over..... No spark. What could be happening here?

·
Premium Member
2,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
With the ignition switch turned to "on" there is No voltage to the positive side of the coil...... what does this mean?

·
Registered
165 Posts
sounds like a wire has worked loose, of you have a bum connection.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
You should have 6-8 volts at the + side of the coil.

That wire is a resistor wire and comes from the ignition switch. In turn that is fed from the batt side of the starter solenoid. Check the wire at the solenoid first and if that all apears OK then crawl under the dash and check the pink wire at the back of the ignition switch.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
Put a wire between the battery side of the solenoid and the "I" terminal of the solenoid. Does the car start and run? If it does, the ballast wire is likely bad and needs replacement. Ballast wire is located between the ignition switch and firewall plug...wire on the engine compartment side goes to the coil. Like an old toaster, the ballast wire (made of the same type of wire in a toaster) sometimes goes bad and needs replacement. I've seen replacements in bubble packs at Autozone...about 1 ohm of resistance.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Try a different coil, if still no spark..then make sure the ground strap from the block is tight..I would also check all my connections from the bat. something worked its way loose..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts