Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the winter I have replaced my entire drivetrain. New 306 ford crate engine, AOD transmission, and 355 gears. The engine has all new parts including the alternator and distributor. The car started and ran beautifully the first few times I started it. I put a couple miles on it while adjusting the AOD transmission. The car started missing and I had to tow it home (first time in 13 years :))
After diagnosing the car I determined that there was no spark at the Mallory plug & play distributor. The coil is fine because I tested it in another car. I purchased a new module from Mallory and put it in. The car still will not start.
I have wired the car with and without resister ballast and it made no difference. I have twelve volts going to the coil. I’m wondering if there is something else wrong in the way I wired the alternator, solenoid, regulator of something else going on here that may be effecting the distributor. At 80 dollars a pop, I cannot keep buying modules as a diagnostic tool. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
792 Posts
Doesn't the Mallory need a ballast resistor or resistance wire. I know the Mallory unilite distributor does but I'm not not sure on the plug and play you speak of. Check the install destructions.

Check for spark. That will tell you fuel or coil/dizzy problem. Hopefully not a compression problem!

Check grounds as well.

Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a ballast resister installed as instructed by Mallory. What grounds would you check? I have the distributor grounded to the engine block. Other thoughts?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Grounding strap from passanger side back of block to firewall.

Make sure to grind paint off to get a good connection. The way you desribe it though it sounds as if the Mallory is failing. After re-reading title, did you pull a plug out and turn it over with it grounded to check for spark?

Some Mallory dizzys recommend a voltage spike filter. That could kill it possibly???

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did run a ground wire from the heads to the negative side of the battery. Is it important to ground to the chasis?

·
Registered
792 Posts
Important enough that the factory did it. They used a braided strap. Someone can probably post a pic. Mine hibernating still

·
Registered
161 Posts
if you take the coil wire out of the distributor and place it near a ground and crank the engine, do you get a spark, yes or no. If yes check for spark at plug. If no STOP you have some sort of a distributor problem. Doy you have an original dist around, if yes put it in and see if it will start, if it does all your issues might be with the mallory.. This is one "I wish I were there sort of things."

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have no spark from the distributor. I am on my second module from Mallory and I hate to buy a third (@ $80 a pop) because I'm not sure if that's the problem of it's something else. I am running a new 5.0 so I cannot use my 289 distributor for a test because it doesn't have a steel gear and I'm afraid of hurting the engine. The people at Mallory are useless to deal with. When I explained my problem and what I have done to fit it, their response was "take the car to a mechanic". If I had been in the room with that jerk, I would have shoved the distributor up is %$$!

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
i did run a ground wire from the heads to the negative side of the battery. Is it important to ground to the chasis?
yes yes yes!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts