Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just signed up and first post. As header states, next click will turn 80YOA. Have plain 66 Coupe that has not seen the light of day since ~2003 as been in the barn after trailering from Arizona (along with a 67 coupe which was a California car.) Both sat outside in NE Tx humidity and the 67 promptly turned into more work than I wanted to do. Finally got the barn built and put both inside, eventually pulling the powertrain (67) 289 w 4 speed and headers and few good metal panels remaining, and got rid of the shell.
The 66 I had pretty gone thru prior to trip east excepting the trim, paint and suspension. I did the Shelby drop and added disc brakes on the front, and then life got in the way, other caca for few years, then a back operation (in 2019)which really kicks ones hiney. Priorities and value system changes over the years and have now decided to try to live till I die, rather than just waiting it out.
So, was pondering my navel, figuratively speaking, and decided to get back and finish the Coupe. Am amazed at the advance of technology (as well as the elevation in cost of goods) since my interests waned. Most of substrate work (had gotten car into primer prior) so suspect I will go back with Acrylic Enamel and an original color, with a white vinyl top (the only item that seems to not have gone out of sight pricewise.)
The Refurbed portion prior to trailering included a 302 and C4 from a (purchased donor) 76 Granada. Overhauled both the engine and C4 as well as differential. I knew the owners of the 76 Granada and that vehicle was not abused. As I recall, cylinder walls were within tolerances and did not have to go to oversize pistons. However, the 289 that came out of the 66 was way gone so I put 8 sleeves in the block which is now setting in the floor of the barn as got no further.
Do have a herd of vehicles around the place and maybe someday will pull the 351 Windsor out of 72 Montego (104K) that has been in the family since new. The wife keeps after me to get rid of some of this stuff, but an early 351 I am not going to part with. It ought to make the pontoon boat move right along.
I expect to pull to C4 out (66) and replace with an AOD that was gone thru in Arizona at about same time. (I made a lot of trips from Yuma "toting that crap" to NE Texas.)

·
Registered
7,468 Posts
Priorities and value system changes over the years and have now decided to try to live till I die, rather than just waiting it out.
Congratulations my friend and welcome. May you live forever and may the last voice you hear be mine...

Allen

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Welcome. Hope I have half your spark when I hit 70.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Welcome to VMF .

Since I was raised to respect my elders I would only offer my advise . As a 70 year old who loves old cars especially Fords ,with. 2 project non Mustang Fords I'm working on in my shop along with the MONEY PIT my 67 Vert I say don't get bogged down . It don't have to be in pristine condition .

Get it road worthy & have fun . There is just something about a Mustang people love them shiney paint jobs or not . And getting it to shiney can eat up a lot of time & money .

The money is only money but the time that's a whole other thing . So get out in that shop & fix what needs fixed & take the wife out for an ice creme or dinner in that car . Who knows it might be contagious & she gets the fever too.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
6,702 Posts
Welcome. Lots of projects to keep you busy. Get us some pictures up if all that wealth so we can enjoy along with you.

·
Registered
67 Fastback T5, 331 stroker, TCI Frt End, Canted 4 link rear, 3.55 gears
2,079 Posts
When I was working on my project I would explain to people that I realized perfection was not necessary, because I didn't want my first ride in the car to be when they take my ashes to the cemetery. That may sound a little morbid, but it was a reminder that time passes too quickly, and if we don't focus and sometimes scale down, we'll never get to enjoy our cars.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
Welcome to VMF !

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
1970 Sportroof Mustang Grabber Value Package
1,402 Posts
Welcome, and as stated I hope I have half your drive if I make it to 80.
Also, we love pictures of Mustangs, cars , projects and even boxes of parts!

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
Welcome to VMF .

Since I was raised to respect my elders I would only offer my advise . As a 70 year old who loves old cars especially Fords ,with. 2 project non Mustang Fords I'm working on in my shop along with the MONEY PIT my 67 Vert I say don't get bogged down . It don't have to be in pristine condition .

Get it road worthy & have fun . There is just something about a Mustang people love them shiney paint jobs or not . And getting it to shiney can eat up a lot of time & money .

The money is only money but the time that's a whole other thing . So get out in that shop & fix what needs fixed & take the wife out for an ice creme or dinner in that car . Who knows it might be contagious & she gets the fever too.
When I was working on my project I would explain to people that I realized perfection was not necessary, because I didn't want my first ride in the car to be when they take my ashes to the cemetery. That may sound a little morbid, but it was a reminder that time passes too quickly, and if we don't focus and sometimes scale down, we'll never get to enjoy our cars.
These two replies sum up my thoughts exactly. From teardown to first drive was 17 years for me. Don't be a Bob.

·
Registered
64.5 Vert
493 Posts
Just another reminder to me to get moving on my projects. I just turned 56 and have always had those "when I get older or retire" projects. I recently came to the realization that I have some of the same hereditary issues that my dad is dealing with (now 80 years old). One of these affects the use of his fingers and has progressively gotten worse over the last 15 years. I finally realized that I may not be able to do some of the projects that I have been waiting to do when I get older.
I have a renewed outlook and energy to stop putting things off. I like your outlook to live until you die rather than waiting it out.

Welcome to the forum.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts