Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to get a 1966 Mustang I6 running that has been sitting for 8 months. Currently when I attempt to start it I just hear one click (I'm guessing from the solenoid) but I don't always hear it every time I try to start it.

Long version:
The car is a new purchase. I pulled the plugs and turned the engine over by hand to verify it wasn't seized. Then I put a new battery in and attempted to start it. Discovered the fuel pump was bad so that got replaced. A friend insisted on using starter fluid to get it running. It ran of starter fluid for a second before dying. Last successful attempt at starting it we didn't use starter fluid but it ran for a second and died. Next time the key was turned nothing at all. Battery still had 12.53 volts. I replaced the negative battery cable because the terminal didn't seem to fit well. Still nothing. I can't get the headlights or anything to turn on now and when I try to start it all I hear is a single click. I have no clue what to check now?.

·
Premium Member
11,484 Posts
Remove both cables from their battery posts and clean the corrosion off of the posts and inside the cable clamps. Remove the positive cable from the solenoid and clean the eye terminal on the cable and the post on the solenoid. Remove the cable to the starter and clean both eye terminals on it.

·
VMF Ambassador
6,583 Posts
+1 on what he said - likely a ground issue or problem with getting good power off the solenoid. Might want to check the engine ground as well while you're at it.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
welcome aboard VMF

yup sounds like a bad ground.

take a jumper cable hook it to the Bat (-) POST not the cable end and the bumper or a solid clean ground and re try

id bet the where the cable connects to the block is all rusted

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
You may also have a bad starter motor itself. You can also try holding the key in the on position while someone taps the starter with a hammer- not too hard, just a light smack. If it turns over- bad starter. If not, probably power/ground issue like stated above..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feed back. I won't have time to work on the car until Saturday or maybe even Sunday afternoon. I'll have an update on the car then.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the culprit. The cable from the solenoid to the starter was all cracked up and failed a continuity test. I replaced it as well as the positive battery cable. Now it cranks. Need to make sure I'm getting spark and fuel now but I'm glad the electrical issue is gone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts