Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I need a little advise from someone who has been through this or am I wasting my time.

I have located a 1965 coupe that is in pretty bad shape but i the price is right, the only problem is it does not have a title. The story I have from the current owner is the car was originally purchased by a gentleman in NC back in 65, he passed away in the late 80's and his nephew took the car and parked it at his house, the title was never found. He stored the car for around 20 years (I think he drove it as it had an inspection sticker from the mid 90's) but when it broke down he parked it and left it in his yard (hence the bad shape, lot's of rust).

The car was then bought by a young guy with the intent of fixing it up but he quickly found out it was too much for him. This is where I come in. The only stipulation I gave him is I need to get a title for it before I haul it away.

A couple of calls / visits to the NC DMV have led me to a hard stop. Basically they tell me I need to post an indemnity bond and have the car inspected by a state inspector BUT the inspector wont look at the car because it is not running and it needs to be in an operable state before they inspect it. For obvious reasons I don't want to put a lot of money into it and get it inspected only to find out a title search turns up some bad history (stolen etc).

Anyone been through this before that can offer some advise or should I just walk away?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
There are so many deals out there, I would look farther and find one with a title. It is a lot of hassle from what you say.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Unless you like to do rust repair for the enjoyment of it, I don't think a super-rusty non-K coupe is worth anything as far as value towards making it a running car. If you want to strip it for parts and crush the rest, that's one thing, and probably doesn't need a title.

To me, sounds like two reasons not to pursue this car with the idea of putting it back on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Where can I find the VIN? The plate on the door and fender (both match), don't show a VIN number, I do have the unit number off the plate, is that the VIN (293714)?

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
The official VIN is stamped in the inner fender, by the drivers side shock tower. Should be visible without doing anything more than opening the hood. How about a picture of this treasure?

·
Registered
327 Posts
If you don't have a VIN, or haven't located one, you'd have a tough time getting it titled/registered anywhere. Until/unless you find it, I'd look for something that isn't going to cost you time and money on paperwork....before you ever get to the car itself!

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
From your description, even if the car was free, it isn't worth it. Walk away.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Can someone point me to a faq on how to upload pictures and I will post a couple. I am now looking to elicit feedback to see if this is salvageable. I don't mind putting in the work as this is going to be a long term project but at the same time I don't want to take on a dead cause.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
MM said:
Can someone point me to a faq on how to upload pictures and I will post a couple.
Go to the menu bar above under Help, then Posting Messages, then Can I use HTML in My Posts? then almost half way down see [IMG].[/IMG]

·
Registered
9,844 Posts
MM said:
Can someone point me to a faq on how to upload pictures and I will post a couple. I am now looking to elicit feedback to see if this is salvageable. I don't mind putting in the work as this is going to be a long term project but at the same time I don't want to take on a dead cause.
In a tactful way the other posters have tried to tell you that it is a "dead cause".

It's a dead cause.

It is a dead cause.

Dead cause? Most definitely.

I would say that it is a dead cause.

IMO - dead cause.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Where can I find the VIN? The plate on the door and fender (both match), don't show a VIN number, I do have the unit number off the plate, is that the VIN (293714)?

The Warranty Number on the Door Data Plate is the VIN number.

It should be like this:

5_01_293714. The 01 is for a Coupe. (02- Fastback and 03 -Convertible.) The second digit is the assembly plant code and would be an F, R or T. The fifth digit is the engine code and would be an A, C, D, F, K, T or U, depending on the engine and when it was assembled. K usually is the most desireable engine code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to all for the feedback, I am starting to think this might be a dead cause <GRIN>. I think I am gonna pass on this one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those who wanted to see a picture, and just curious is this repairable (obviously everything is repairable for the right $$$)... I am more curious for my next find.

View from the side
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/mmccosh04/Side.jpg
Engine Bay
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/mmccosh04/Engine.jpg
Front Floor
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/mmccosh04/Floor.jpg
Rear Floor (yep, that's a hole)
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/mmccosh04/FloorBack.jpg
Drivers Side Floor
http://i996.photobucket.com/albums/af89/mmccosh04/Drivers.jpg

·
Registered
767 Posts
"Is it repairable?" As you note, sure it is, but unless you're doing it yourself, AND you will truly ENJOY the hours and days of rust repair, walk awy from those cars. You're going to be money way behind what it would take to just buy a decent coupe.

OTOH, that one's got lots of usable parts, so if you're the hands on type, have the space, and like messing about with old cars and learning a thing or two for next time, you can probably get that thing for 2 bills, trailer it home, tear it apart and send the carcass to the crusher. You'd get a good core for engine and trans, AC system, misc "little parts" that add up tremendously if buying them new, etc. You'll also see how the cars go together, on a car that you don't care one bit if you break or damage something.

My dad was hit by a red-light runner in his 560SL (no injuries) totaling his car for the $25K agreed value. He bought it from ins company, is stripping it for parts and having a blast doing it.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Glad it's a dead issue! Don't pay any money.
FYI,
The origional owner's heirs need to go to the DMV
with the death certificate and get a duplicate title. ONLY then, can they transfer title to you.
The person selling it (the "nephew" who never had title) should contact the origional owners heirs and get the signed title and bill of sale before selling to you.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
No title- run far away.

My neighbor bought a car without a title, now that he has possession of it, it turns out that an out of state dealer has a lien on the car and court issued title in their possession.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts