Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I picked up a 66 Triumph Spitfire a couple weeks ago and I'm starting to think through why I did that. I just got my first catalog of Triumph parts. HOLY SPIT! Upholstry (2 seats) for $300, floor pans $200 (X2), Carpet set $300, body repair panels $1,000,000. Man, we Stangers have it so good!

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Them's some EXPENSIVE body repair panels!

Steve

G

·
0 Posts
Wow, $1,000,000 for body panels!!! Probably could buy one already done for that? LOL

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
I know what you mean! I always wanted a classic Porsche, and about 8 years a go, I did some bartering, and traded a 68 Cougar for a 57 Porsche 356. After receiving my catalogs for the 356, I soon realized by the time I was done restoring it, I would easily have 40k in it!! The steering wheel alone for that thing was $800 bucks! I sold it a year later, and never looked back.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I can see it now..."Hmm, these '74 mustang II seats will look great ($40 at junkyard)....... and I can hand bend that sheetmetal to fit the floor, or just fiberglass 'em ($50 at Home Depot)....... and I hear that neon shag carpet is really back in style ($50 at Carpet Barn).....

A million bucks? Get real ! See above and do it for a mere $140 ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Dickson

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here too! I paid $300 for mine, and it runs and the rust isn't too bad. Restored or nice original spits can be had for a few grand. We think restoring a Stang is upside down financially, it's NOTHING compared to this!

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have no intention of restoring this thing original. Rather, I'm going to use it as a guinee pig to try out my welding, bodywork and customization skills (of which I have none). If I end up with a V8 powered roadmonster, great! If I end up carting the carnage off for scrap metal when I'm done, well I'm out $300 and picked up some cool tools and experience in the process!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Javed, are you going to sell those too ?

I just picked up a copy of the July "Custom Car" and cant find a Mustang for sale that doesnt have your name beside it /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

Gary

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
no gary they are surplus to requirements as i have too many projects on the go my main car 67 gt390 is now in the bodyshop getting finished and next up is a 68 gt500 clone .so funds are required to finish a project or 2.regards javed

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Dan I hope you know I'm kidding you bigtime !

A low buck speed project, where you also learn some various skills along the way....man that sounds kinda familiar (like my plans for the '66 shell I just got!) /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Dickson

1 - 14 of 14 Posts