Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When installing a new clutch this weekend (Centerforce Dual-Friction - Sweet!), I discovered that my Boss 302 does not have the correct "N" case, but instead has a standard case <sigh>.

What is the difference between the Nodular "N" case and a standard 9" case? What does it take to convert to the "N" case?

I know the Boss is supposed to have 31-spline axles, but there's not enough room in my dinky garage to pull the axles to confirm what's in there. What else will I need besides the case itself?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
"Nodular" as in metal content, "nodular iron". The metal is of a higher strength. I believe that the nodular case also has a beefier pinion bearing area. The cases are completely interchangeable. The only hard part will be locating one and then building yourself a garage to install it.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Couple of great VMF resources on this subject...

Read and Read...they cover the 8 and 9" rears pretty well...

Nodular iron center sections are still available....ask around for a FMS-4141-E if you want a Ford unit (new) or you could use one from Strange engineering like this one...I use a similar unit from Mark Williams, with an aluminum pinion support, in the race car and have received excellent service.

Main plus is stronger material, especially in rear pinion support area, which takes a lot of abuse in a four-speed car when driven hard.

Good luck!

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
31 spline axles have 3 holes in the center, 1 in the middle & 2 center drill holes on each side. 28 spline axles have a big dish in the center. I can get you a pic of my 31's & 28's if you need them

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the information guys, I sure appreciate it.

BTW, I've made a donation to the site 'cause this is definitely the best place on the web to come for info like this.

To those of you who are lurking - Time to pay up! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Take care,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts