Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 30-40 mph I can let off the gas and I have a steady bump,bump from rear area till I coast down to zero.Not noticable on accelerating although I have rather loud pipes so it may be there.Sounds more like its on the right side. Could I have an axle bearing failing?
Steve/

http://www.tallassee.net/~csh/4pic.jpg
Steve
65 Shelby Replicar<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by gt_350_clone on 03/10/01 07:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Have you tried neutralling the car around 40, shutting the engine off and coasting with the door cracked open...?

Usually, unless it's really toast, a wheel bearing makes a light whining noise not unlike rear gears but is completely speed dependent...no change on acceleration or deceleration...

You can likely quantify it by putting the car up on stands and running it...also, wiggling the back wheels while up in the air can give a clue...

What do you hear at around 45 or so while cruising..?

Please list recent changes to driveline, rear end and suspension, if any...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Perhaps a U-joint? I had a knocking noise when in Neutral and coasting before replacing a worn U-joint. Second guess would be a damaged or worn axle (inner race) bearing. A noise and rear end (side to side) movement occurred during parallel parking maneuvers or backing out of the driveway. Hope this helps.

"What we have here is--failure to communicate."

'67 coupe soon to be 5.0L w/Edelbrock 1406

·
Registered
647 Posts
Steve,
From your description it sounds like it could be a u-joint. Usually under acceleration the noise is not there, but when you back off the gas the noise will be heard, then back on the gas the noise will go away again.
Good luck.
Jeff

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the exact same symptoms on my 65. Turned out to be a rough spot on the race of one of the differential carrier bearings. When I coasted downhill with the engine off the bumping increased in frequency with speed and was uneffected by braking, clutch engaged or disengaged, trans in neutral or in gear. When I pulled it apart all the bearings were pitted, but the one carrier bearing race was especially deflaked in one place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts