Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vendor
5,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of adding a pair of Hedman shortys to my 289. Don't really want to mess with full length tubes as I have power steering (unless you guys can recommend a pair that doesn't require move the power steering). What kind of noise increase can I expect? More importantly, what kind of power increase will I get?

Motor already has a Performer intake, 600cfm carb with K&N filter and a dual exhaust.

Thanks

Shaun

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I had a set of Flowtech long tube headers on my original 289, and I didn't have to do anything with the power steering. With any header, you will have an increase of noise, it won't be too loud and obnoxious. And really the power steering drop bracket isn't too difficult to install. The only suggestion I'd make, is to brace the bracket a little bit. The drop bracket does have a tendency to flex a little.

Rob
Member: Slightly Modified
66 coupe 302
66 fastback 351W

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
If you ran a set of shorty JBA's and a stock-style dual exhaust system, you should only notice the most minor increase in noise...

I have a set of JBA's on my D-coder and the headers are very quiet...it's the darn Dynomax Super Turbos that are noisy...

The main reason JBA's are so quiet is that they're made out of 14ga steel and use a 3/8" flange plate....the thicker materials dampen the exhaust pulses more so you don't hear the tick-tick....

Extending the rear pipes beyond the valence is a big help to limiting noise as well...I didn't and have a resonation around 50mph....that's tops on the list of things to do at the next major maintenance...

Depending on the build of your engine and the exhaust sytem now on the car, you could realize anywhere from 10-30 HP with a good set of headers and dual exhaust....

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 4 of 4 Posts