Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just heard this term for the first time... today! What can ya'll tell me about it. My heads are fresh form the machine shop. Is there any adjustment I should make before I run them?

65 Fastback 289 4v
69 VW TypeIII Fastback 1.5l FI
00 Saturn SW2 1.8l FI

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Your heads, if '65, should be fully adjustable...

The non-adjustable valvetrain applies to later heads that had a stepped stud where the nut bottomed out on a shoulder or bolt-in rockers where a bolt held a fulcrum into a slot in the rocker boss in the head....

Do your heads have a slot for the pushrod or a round hole?

Non-adjustable means that everything has to be right or else the valve lash is either too tight (valve doesn't close completely) or too loose (noisy)....

That often happens from shops sinking the valves when doing a valve job and not taking the same amount of the stem end...or, surfacing the heads more than .005-.010"...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks!

The holes are more of a slot (rectangle with round top/bottom)
The engine tag is 289 65 7 5-E 551-J The head is 66 5J10.
The heads have studs with the rocker arm, spacer and a nut.

65 Fastback 289 4v
00 Saturn SW2 1.8l FI

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So then mine is adjustable? I searched the old and new forum, for valve adjustment, but found nothing helpfull.
I will refer to the shop manual.
Thanks for this and any future help.

Is the 66 stamped on the head a "built year"?

65 Fastback 289 4v
00 Saturn SW2 1.8l FI

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Yup, you should have straight sided studs and fully adjustable rocker arms....

The procedure for valve adjustment prior to firing the engine should be in most shop manuals...we did post procedures on the old forum but searching for them is so difficult it's not worth the effort...

Our webmaster is working to make the old forum searchable in the same way this one is and will hopefully have that in place by the time the old forum is frozen in May...

Pat
http://www.jps.net/binay/webdocs/strtmstng002_sml.JPG

1 - 6 of 6 Posts