Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After some research I decided not to go with Custom Autosound. Instead I bought a standard DIN sized radio that will fit in the glove compartment and has an RF remote (so the box doesn't need to be open).

Has anyone installed one like this and have any pictures? I'm trying to decide it is something that I can undetake myself or if it something I should pay a shop to install for me.

I'm thinking of making a plywood box and then covering that with black felt or tack board (to look like the box). Would this work?

Any other ideas? I do not want the radio visible from the exterior of the car. I'm not worried about looking original, but I do want it to look close. Eventually I plan on buying a CD changer to put in the trunk, but that is later on.

Also...what about kick panel speakers. I was thinking about buying some with the hole cut but with no speakers...is that worth it or should I just buy regular ones and cut the holes?

Slade

·
Registered
80 Posts
I have actually installed a RioCar (like the one in the link posted) in my dash. If you want to do kickpanel speakers, you have to at least get the ones with the holes cut in them, the area where the hole is cut is about 2 inches out from the rest of the kickpanel to allow the speaker to fit behind it. A normal kickpanel that you cut would be flat. Someone here did build there own by creating the volume for the speaker with fiberglass. http://jr.stangnet.com/kick.htm#top I think those look nicer than the premade ones, but they are also thicker... johnpro has said he is still looking for speakers thin enough to fit behind the precut ones. I recommend buying ones with speakers in them or making your own like in the link.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The USA-5's LCD is too dim to see in daylight... At least the ones I have seen are.

I have a brand-new-still-in-the-box USA-5 with CD-Changer that I am not gonna use. If anyone is interested they should PM me.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I have the custom autosound with a kenwood 10 disc changer. I don't remember which model it was. I've hooked it up to a large amp in the trunk and it aounds pretty decent. The kick panelse have 1 3/4 inch of space (2 inches after using a hammer). I orignally had removed the glove box to install the cd changer. I found out how much you really need a glove box. With no center counsel and no pouched behind the seat i really needed the glove box.

In retrospect i'm going resto-mod anyhow, i should have just cut a hole for a real head unit and let anyone who buys the car after me worry about it if they want to. They make repair panels just for this condition. Another passing thought i had was to take a ford AM radio along with the radio trim pieces and cut them down so there total depth is about an inch. Cut the screws down and glue them in place for effect. then find some way to hing the whole thing.Basically the radio and trim piece would act as a glove box door to a radio sitting behind it.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I have a USA 5.....the second unit. After sending the first back only to receive it back...unfixed...so...they aren't exactly batting 1000....so.. I have yet to install the new headunit. I hope it works....cause it takes alot of time to pull and reinstall (much longer) but after you've done it three or four times...anyone would be faster! I hope you have better luck with you head unit...the problem I had was the socket for the CD cable was cutting out the right channel...and it sounded toooooo distorted! I hope they really did check out the new one before shipping....if it isn't working I don't know what the heck to do.....cept ask for a refund. Hope this is the LAST time I have to install the radio and finally get some cruising w/ tunes time in the saddle!

·
Registered
655 Posts
I saw a Custom Autosound Secret Audio installed in a 67-68 Cougar. It was pretty slick. since the LCD unit was slim enough to mount "into" the visor. Wiring was hidden behind the pillar moldings. Owner kept a stock radio in place, for shows.

The only thing I didn't like was the carbon fiber look.

http://www.custom-autosound.com/secretaudio.htm

·
Registered
655 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
3 Things turned me off. I heard a lot of complaints about component quality from Autosound. Sound quality seemed to suffer, especially when you take into about the third thing I didn't like about it, the price. It seemed that that the unit was a little overpriced for what you get. $200 for just a AM/FM tuner seemed a little high. $250 for a CD changer? I didn't want to pay $450 just to be able to listen to a CD. I also wanted a head unit that I could actually load a CD from inside the car and not from the trunk.

I ended up going with last years Jensen model from Crutchfield.com. THey reduced the price by 40% and added in about $350 worth of goodies for the radio for free. The big seller for me was that fact that one of those goodies was an RF (like the secret audio one) remote so I don't have to have my glove box open to use it. The Jensen I got is not top of the line...but this is going into a convertible, and no matter what the sound quality will suffer. Also...one last tidbit about Custom Autosound, they never published their sound quality numbers (like freq response, signal/noise ratio) and any company that will not publish those numbers has something to hide. JMHO

My car is going to be a resto-mod project over the next how ever many years, but I like the old classic interior and I love the look of the old AM radio...just hate the fact that I only can get 3 channels...and only 1 plays music.

Good luck.

Slade

1 - 10 of 10 Posts