Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone using a flat or non glossy exterior paint?(not just primer)
I am wondering how cool a flatter finish might look. Kind of like a tough "stealth fighter" like thing.(not necessarily black though)

·
Registered
758 Posts
I always wanted to paint a car flat black, especially yo those many years ago in high school. Of course, that was the era of the Mustang II King Cobra and the Chebby Monza race-thingy as the super-hot cars on the showroom floor... with 125 HP and 300 pounds of paint, tape and plastic gewgaws. Since we couldn't have real engines, we worried about paint. :)

I've looked into matte and flat finishes ever since, but never found anything that was do-able and could be maintained.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It *seems* like there should be a matte or low-gloss clearcoat. Maybe someone should inquire of a good paint shop. I think the number of people who don't want the beast as glossy as possible is vanishingly small, but I'd bet PPG, S-W, or one of them makes a flat topcoat.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I saw an article in Sport Truck mag about an older model pick-up that was customized with a flat green finish and flames. IIRC, the look was created by adding a flattening agent to the clear top coat. The look wasn't really appealing to me but it was unique and obviously caught the eye of the magazine editor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I guess all it would take is a less glossy clearcoat. Sometimes a car has so much gloss(or maybe I mean clearcoat) the color somehow seems diminished. The car just looks wet or plastic.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts