Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm driving home from work the other day in my 96 Explorer and my Check Engine light comes on. I get nervous and pull over to read the owners manual to find out it's a emissions issue. If the light does not turn off after the 4th start-up/warm-up cycle they say to take it to a dealer. Well, my light is still on so I go to a Explorer forum to ask for advise. I didn't need to ask, it seemed that about 40% of all posts had to do with the Check Engine Light. My conclusion is that the problem is probably my 02 sensors, FPR or throttle positioning sensor (but who knows). I just don't want to start throwing parts at this issue because it can get expensive and I only enjoy spending money on my Mustang. I know Pep Boy's & AutoZone will check your charging system, battery, alternator etc. with the hopes that you will purchase your replacement parts from them. So my question is, does anyone check your OBD II codes for you? I would rather not buy a OBD II decoder and I am leery of the Dealer. Let me know if I'm wrong, but using a OBD II decoder sounds like a simple process and may be a good idea for a store to perform this service. I would definitely go to that store to get my codes then buy whatever parts I need from them. I appreciate any input you may have, thanx

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Call your local Ford dealer. The OBD-II sensors may be considered part of the emissions system and warranteed for much longer than the vehicle. So before you spend money on any parts, check to see if the emissions warranty still applies.

Our Ponies
http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/Mach1painted.jpg http://www.ultranet.com/~bpratt/images/65vert.jpg

G

·
0 Posts
Anything that affects overall vehicle emissions is covered by 5yr 50k mile warrenty

Greg B

·
Banned
4,577 Posts
If it was your TPS, I'm sure it would have a rough idle and seem like the idle is surging when in park. At least that is what my van did until I finally replaced the TPS. Later on I had a piece of carbon get stuck in the EGR valve, and hold the valve open just enough to give it the same type of problem, engine light, rough idle. Pulled out the valve, blew it out and it worked fine.

Doug

[color:red]VMF Exchange Board</font color=red>
http://members.spree.com/entertainment/whizco/owner/dwhisenant/66tl2.jpg
[color:blue]My Mustang is Camera Shy</font color=blue>/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

·
Registered
759 Posts
I had the same problem on my 96 Ranger. You can bring it by the dealer and they might test it for you. But the result code they get will still not answer your question. They will say it is either the EGR, 02, TP or other sensor. That's all the code translates to anyways. It does not give you a specific sensor to change.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, I checked the gas cap and it didn't work. If the computer is smart enough to turn on the check engine light way don't they design it to just show the code... heck, my dishwasher will show me the error code when it has a problem and it was over $20,000 cheaper. I guess it's just a way to keep $$$ in the dealers pockets.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts