Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
So Wednesday we're heading out on a tent-trailer vacation. So the ol'Tahoe needs an oil change. Prior oil change was done gratis by the dealer for lying about some previous work. I drain the oil and try to unscrew the filter. Well the dealer must have used a impact wrench because this baby is on there. After mangeling(sp?) it with a oil wrench (band type) I finally get it off. Hand tighten new one on.
Next I attach that new Fram quick drain system to the oil pan. Read the instructions, 22mm socket, got it, torque to 20lbs, got the torque wrench. Set to 2,2,2,2 uh yeah 22lbs. Wrench it on until....gee it got awfully loose there. But its on. Fill with oil. Mmmmm there's a tiny bit of oil around the drain plug. Better tighten it. First loosen the drain plug cap. Opps it all moved. Better hold it with a open end wrench.....hold it then pop! it falls off with oil pouring out. Seems I snapped the threads of the drain plug in the pan. Heavy swearing...no vacation.. need to tow to dealer and get oil pan removed and plug removed. After a calming session and waiting for all oil to drain I use needle nose pliers and thank the Lord the snapped end was still in the threads and came out easy. Replaced with factory plug. :eek:
Still have the vacation planned. :)

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Don't you hate it when you do things right before taking a trip in it. Then the whole trip I'm wondering in the back of my mind if it's ok.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Mmmm Well I do need a vacation. Painted all of the inside of the house. New baseboard inside the house. Sanded and re-oiled the deck.
We really didn't do a travel vacation last year so SWMBO really wanted to take the tent-trailer out for a spin. So we're heading north. No plan, just north for a week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts