Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an SUV whose make and model shall remain nameless for obvious reasons. I need to replace the y-pipe due to a few 1/4" holes that make it pretty loud. My problem is that the price of this part is over $200, more than I think the car is worth. Does any body know of a procedure for welding in new metal around an existing exhaust pipe? Is it possible to temporarily repair such an item? If so, what are some do's and don't's? (The reason this question is suitable for this board is because I will be selling the SUV as soon as I repair a few things in order to fund my Mustang projects)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can buy exhaust patch stuff at your local Crap Boys. I have never used it, but I've seen it on the shelf.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
I've used it, and it sucks wind. I don't know what else to do though. Maybe J-B weld would work.

Maybe someone makes a female to female coupler that could be inserted at the bad spot. Seems easy enough to envision.

Coppertone's current condition:
http://www.knology.net/~dorner/images/coppertone2.jpg

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
You should be able to take a trip to the local muffler shop and get a piece welded in for alot less than that cost!

Jeff
Member: Flatheads ain't so bad association
Never trust an over 40 Chevy owner association (They have to cheat to win)

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
Your problem is common for many vehicles. You can patch the holes. However, they will re-appear, as the rust is eating away the metal. Temporary fix. I suspect that you can take the vehicle to your local exhaust shop and replace the failed pipe with an 'aluminized' pipe. They will probably make one right there. I had my exhaust on my Mustang done that way. And as others in previous posts stated, the trip to the shop with open headers was memorable.

Steve Leslie, 65 coupe in restoration. 302, toploader, A/C, disc brakes, bench seat

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571478&a=11942550&p=43703435.jpg

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
You'll probably laugh at this, but I used fiberglass to patch the y-pipe on old truck of mine. It stands up to heat well and cheep and is easy to do. Or you could get a cheep dual exhaust set up for around $200.

Someone please buy my Ski Doo!
68 fastback, 390 4V premium fuel
80 5.0 hatch, just finished
91 5.0 coupe, daily driver
84 RamCharger 4x4 extreme mudsliger and winter junker

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Cheap and easy. Could last a long time. Get some Very high temp silicon, scratch up the area around the hole, put siliocon around it, take a piece of aluminum cut from a beer can(the can should be cut open into a sheet, you mudt use miller lite or fostner's because just because. Wrap the patch around the pipe and let sit over night. Maybe leave a hose clamp on it. The noise will die down. Or you can drive all the way to the shop to pay them to play with your rusty pipes. =)

Bart

PS I'm not lazy, I'm in the military. That doesn't make it any better does it?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts