consensus was that I should fix the problem before putting the
car on the road. So now I'm trying to find the least expensive
way to do this.

Can anyone tell me (or point me to a site) where I can find
what other Ford products were built with a 9" rear, leaf
spring suspension, and that will fit my '68 (59.25" flange-
to-flange). I've looked at the mustangsandmore.com
site, but that only referenced other pre-1975 Fords. Aren't
there other, newer models, that have the right sized rear?

I know I can get my current housing shortened, buy new axles,
etc. But I'd like to see if I can't get lucky with a junkyard housing
that just needs to be cleaned up and that I can transfer my
center section into.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I sent you an e-mail with a link in it...Hope it helps...

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
67-70 mustang and cougar

Some granada's and monarchs had 9" rear ends, they are a little narrow but bolt right up or the versailles which had an outdated disc brake system and needs minor spring perch modifications. Thats about it for the simple ones.

I've also seen 8.8 inch rear ends from explorers mounted up on a mustang, nice disc brakes.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
IME, most newer stuff departs from the traditional two spring pads as a mounting arrangement, so consider what will happen to the axle tubes when you torch off the old stuff and weld spring perches on. I've narrowed enough rears to know what'll happen *G*

Given the vintage of your car, you'll have more likely candidates to choose from than a 64.5-66 Pony owner.

For example, the raw housing in the race car came out of a '57 Fairlane and would have likely fit your car great (at stock length)....I would surmise big-block Cougars of your vintage would have what you need. How about checking out some Broncos from that era? Late 70's, early 80's Granadas and Lincoln Versailles should be close but I don't know about mounts...likely different. Rummage around a vintage boneyard with a tape measure and I'll bet you'll come up with exactly what you need.

Have fun!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
if you arent having wheel rub problems perhaps you could just move the spring perches to the correct width

1 - 6 of 6 Posts