Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m converting my 67 to manual brakes, I’m looking for a manual brake pedal. I have a T5 conversion going on as well.

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
The only difference is the plate for the pad. You can trim the automatic plate to fit.

·
Registered
358 Posts
As stated you can trim the pedal.

One thing I learned recently is some brake pedals have a stop to prevent the pedal from returning too far toward the dash (and dropping the master cylinder push rod). Some pedals do not have this stop and must be used with pushrod with a retention clip.

I bought a pedal set off eBay for a t5 swap, but the brake pedal didn’t have the pedal stop, so I trimmed my original (and am also running a push rod with the retainer as well).

I still have the extra pedal, but it is probably for you to trim the one you have given shipping.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The only difference is the plate for the pad. You can trim the automatic plate to fit.
I believe that this statement is incorrect. I say this because, in researching how to convert my Manual Drum Brakes to Power Drum Brakes, I found that not only were the Part Numbers different, but a member from another Forum directed me to "Mustang Steve's" site (MustangSteve.com), where there was a section on Brake Pedals, which pictorily showed the differences. I have attached as few pertinent pictures from that Article. For more info, you may want to visit his site.

Bob
BRAKE PEDALS (1) From MustangSteve.com.JPG
BRAKE PEDALS (2).JPG
BRAKE PEDALS (3).JPG
BRAKE PEDALS (4).JPG
BRAKE PEDALS (5).JPG

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Sorry, Bob I misread your post, ai though you were just switching to the T5 from an automatic. If you are also going from power to manual brakes, you are correct you need the shorter pedal. The pics from Mustang Steve do a good job of explaining the differences. I relied on them as well. BTW Steve is a great guy.
I have a 68 Manual Pedal as I went the other way and added power brakes to my 68. It’s an automatic pedal but if you don’t mind trimming the plate it would work fine.

While you are in there you should consider switching to roller bear8ngs for the clutch pedal.

I believe that this statement is incorrect. I say this because, in researching how to convert my Manual Drum Brakes to Power Drum Brakes, I found that not only were the Part Numbers different, but a member from another Forum directed me to "Mustang Steve's" site (MustangSteve.com), where there was a section on Brake Pedals, which pictorily showed the differences. I have attached as few pertinent pictures from that Article. For more info, you may want to visit his site.

Bob View attachment 762963 View attachment 762964 View attachment 762965 View attachment 762966 View attachment 762967

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I appreciate all your responses, I purchased a manual brake pedal for an automatic transmission and will cut down the pad. I have the roller bearing kit and will do that conversion too thanks all

·
Registered
5,223 Posts
Great, sounds like you‘re in good shape.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I figured that you probably misread the OP's Post. Looks like you also related my name to the OP's (unless of course spk85215's name is also "Bob" ??).

Bob

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’m converting my 67 to manual brakes, I’m looking for a manual brake pedal. I have a T5 conversion going on as well.
Have you found one. I belive I still have one in my attic when I converted to power brakes on my 1967 Metuchen built fFastback 25 years ago. Please let me know and I will look

1 - 9 of 9 Posts